Saturday, April 29, 2017

I have now knit a hat for a chicken

I always think I'm done with knitting or crocheting silly things and then I find a pattern or an occasion that brings me back.

Like this bunny hat for a chicken.

 

I saw this pattern a few days before Easter and knew in my heart of hearts I needed to make it for one of my mom's chickens.  I sent a photo of the pattern page to my siblings with a joke about making it and they earnestly encouraged me to go for it.

I got so  excited that I ran around the office showing co-workers the creation.  They were confused, but supportive. 

I went home, grabbed some needles and some yarn and got started.

Then I remembered how much I dislike knitting small things.  So I ripped back the slippery yarn I had been using and switched to good ol' Red Heart.  Stiff, squeaky yarn can be a godsend when knitting small items in the round. 

I had trouble making the ears, mostly because I was knitting them in the car on the way to my parents' house on Saturday while Evelyn kept talking in the back seat and I felt like I was pulling my fingers out of the knuckles every time I tried to decrease.  Using worsted weight yarn and #3 needles (the pattern calls for #4 but I couldn't find any, and I have a pretty loose gauge) eliminated the need for wire to make the ears stand up, but my hands were killing me.  So I didn't finish the hat Saturday. 

Then, on Easter: a miracle.  I finished the hat.  My fingers survived.  And I had time to sew on the ears before lunch.  I finally showed my mom the hat.  Another miracle: she loved it. 

Who could resist the seasonal charm?

My family is always very sweet about my craft projects, but some of them are a bit....unnecessary.  And celebrating the resurrection of our Lord and Savior by sticking a hat on an animal whose head is already plenty covered is a little ridiculous.  But Mom was so pumped she ran right out the door to catch a chicken as soon as I showed her the hat. 


This is exactly the kind of dumb fun we're into, but we don't normally put so much time and effort into it.  But I'm glad I did.  It was a fun project, and we all got a kick out of it.

Except for the chicken.

She's fine now, I promise.

*A quick note for anyone who wants to try this at home: the pattern was written for a small chicken.  If you have large breed chickens, or a chicken with a large comb, consider casting on 28 stitches instead of the recommended 24.  Going up a needle size probably wouldn't hurt either. 

No comments: