Thursday, March 30, 2017

Mom's day off, 03.24.17

I had last Friday off and it was amazing.  I haven't had a weekday off since some day in January when Evelyn was getting over a stomach virus.  This time was much better.  Evelyn had spring break last week, which I dubbed Grandparentfest 2017 because she spent a lot of time with her grandparents and loved it.  Her grandparents loved it.  But I have to say, I was ready to have some fun as well.  I've been working late most nights and the weather's been pretty good and I was just ready to get out.

So Friday morning, that's what we did. First stop: Pinnacle Mountain State Park.  And its playground.






Then: the West Summit Trail. 





We took a break and sent this night picture to her dad, who also couldn't get any days off for spring break because we're a couple of geniuses who have jobs with busy seasons at the very same time.  Yikes.





We made it to the top!  I didn't many pictures because it was windy and my legs were worn out and my mind was shot from trying to get a whining six-year-old up a mountain (even though she didn't want to turn around) and worrying about how we were going to get down.  Anyway, here she is enjoying her well-packed backpack and some binoculars.





She also enjoyed eating a snack and wearing a headlamp in daylight.  She still had to have it turned on.





She made a report in her notebook about how we made it up the mountain.









Then we slid our way down and fell a bunch of times.  We ate some grilled cheese sandwiches at home, I washed off the dust and pollen while she watched TV, and then we went to the library!

We returned some things and read some things and checked out some things.  I looked at the new art exhibit.  She read a book.





On our way home, I took a picture of her with the tulips downtown.  I've done this every spring since she was a newborn.  I'm glad I had a chance to do it again.



I also did two loads of laundry and made dinner from frozen things and canned things.  It was a really, really good day off.

No comments: