Monday, October 3, 2016

September reading list

Knitting Pearls: Writers Writing About Knitting. Ann Hood, ed.*
I had gotten Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting (also edited by Ann Hood) as a gift a few years ago and enjoyed almost all of the essays, so I thought this was a pretty safe bet when I saw it in the library.

Never has reading about something I love so much left me so cold (with the exception of mom essays, but that's always a mixed bag).  I don't remember liking a single thing in this!  Even the happy selections were ridiculous, but maybe that's because they were kind of lost in a sea of absolute misery.  It was just terrible.  Everyone was so miserable, but the knitting projects made them so serene?  Or something?  I talk to knitters and read blogs by knitters and sometimes just interact with regular ol' people with whom I have nothing in common without feeling as alienated as I did reading this.  Which is probably good, because let me say it again: absolute misery.

People of Darkness. Tony Hillerman.
Sacred Clowns. Tony Hillerman.

Several characters die in these books.  There's a lot of poverty and drought and lying and aging and loss of traditions and stories.  It was preferable to the knitting book.

No comments: