Thursday, May 5, 2016

Mother's Day came a little early

On Mondays our library has crafts in the youth department.  Evelyn came home with a bouquet of paper tulips.

Last night, I came home to find her and Cody wearing their aprons and stirring things on the stove.  I put my flowers on the table for the occasion.  We ate a dinner of chicken, kale, and cheesy rice.  She was pumped about the food selections (she loves her cooking).  


Today I came home and she was running around in circles waiting for me to guess where she'd hidden a surprise for me until she led me to her closet.  She mostly unwrapped things for me.  Look at all these treasures!


I asked Cody if this was something he'd had to pay extra for that the kids could choose to participate in, but nope!  He didn't know anything about it until Evelyn came home with a gift her teacher had assembled/helped her assemble.  A gift bag featuring her own artwork!  Some Hershey's Kisses and Hugs shoved into a whisk wrapped in cellophane and bearing a tag that reads "Whisking you a Happy Mother's Day full of hugs and kisses!"

This little hand made from something incredibly breakable!  Evelyn nearly got upset when we unwrapped this, but I convinced her I could glue-gun everything back together.   Lucky for me, I was able to follow through and she told me about her day while I lined up fingers and glued them back on.  It's perfect.


There was also this little interview that I love and hate. 


I was interested in what she thinks of my job.  I'm relieved she thinks I love vegetables as much as I say I do.  (And I do love vegetables.  It's just that I love other foods more, but want to fake model positive eating habits.)  I felt a little like flinging myself into the river when she said if I had more time I'd play with her, but she's not wrong.  If I had more time, I'd play with her.  And if I was with her every minute of the day, we'd both still want more time together.  I know these things are pure cheesy heartstring-yanking busywork, but man it got me.  I'm impatient and I feel like I raise my voice too much and I'm usually a fun mix of tense and exhausted at the end of the day.  But I'm happy that if you ask my girl what I say all the time, she'll think of all the times I ask her "How was your day?"  We take turns asking one another every night (she doesn't seem to care much about tone, so she's more than willing to strike up a conversation with her tense and exhausted mom).  And we like to do everything together.  She's my adventure girl and she makes our family a million times better.

Wearing her creative glasses and her thinking face.

We'll continue celebrating Mother's Day all through the weekend, and maybe into next week.  But for now, I feel like one of the most celebrated moms there is.  It's a good feeling.

No comments: