Monday, February 15, 2016

No-Spend Adventure: Week 2

Another week of trying to not spend money has come and gone.  Spoiler alert, we spent money.  Here's where it went:

$11.26 at Target will get you two boxes of Valentines and some sugar hearts to go on top of your cupcakes.  Both the Valentines and the cupcakes were a beautiful success.


$4.04 will get you more frosting (Tip: you need 2 cans of frosting to cover 24 cupcakes.) and a donation to the food bank.  If I was a betting woman, though, I'd wager that Cody spent a little something extra on a bottle of sweet tea for himself. Why does he lie about these small expenses?  Why do they make me furious?  Why would anyone pay for sweet tea?  I'll never know the answers to any of these mysteries.  All I know is that the Arkansas Food Bank Network has little cards you can give to your Kroger cashier for them to scan and it will donate some extra money, and I never seen Cody donate money to anything unprompted, ever. 

$1 to air up my tires.  One tire is already low again and probably needs to be patched (again?).

$3.82 is a gallon of milk at Walgreens that we probably could have skipped because Evelyn is getting over another cold and doesn't need the extra dairy in her belly.

$15 for more gas for Cody's car.  He drives in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, but I'll never believe his car is as fuel-efficient as mine even if it's supposed to get better mileage.  It doesn't.  I hate that car. It's just a very stupid car. 

Total: $35.12.  Life can be pretty cheap when you're not buying groceries.

Total for the month: $142.14

Money in the emergency fund: $0

Fun fact: Cody went in for a regular physical. He paid his co-pay, we'll be billed for some bloodwork, and he filled some prescriptions. He'll also go back for a follow-up visit for something that will most likely turn out to be nothing but still has to be checked. Evelyn went to the doctor for what turned out to be a regular cold, and Cody had to refill some of her maintenance medication prescriptions.  Then we had to buy a bunch of regular over-the-counter medications for all three of us (winter is so awesome. It is my very favorite time of year) yesterday.  Our Amazon prime membership automatically renewed.  Our laptop runs so slowly that this post has taken nearly an hour to write just because everything freezes up, I have to mash certain keys repeatedly because they stick, and uploading pictures is an undertaking that requires so much time and emotional energy that I think I'll actually be happy when this thing inevitably bursts into flames.

And Cody is scheduled for something like 12 hours this week.

So.  No money is going into the emergency fund.  Again.

But.  We're not really having any emergencies.  There's money in the account because we're not spending much on anything else.  We're feeling pretty prepared for the upcoming expenses (possibly a new air purifier for our room, and new filters for the one in Evelyn's room, along with some school fundraising things, and some fees to apply for the next school year), and we're able to take care of the ones that have come along.  Cody worked a lot of extra hours over the holiday season, and that gave us some padding against disaster.

And to focus on the bright side, here's what we didn't pay for:
-Some car repairs, apparently.  Cody took his car in for some work (stupid, junkity car) last month and that was what used up the last of our emergency fund.  Some cracked something or anothers were repaired, levels were topped off, etc.  The price was lower than we expected, which made sense when he got a call from the shop last week saying that they'd had some accounting issues and wanted to know what he paid.  It turns out we'd been underbilled by $400 supposedly.  I say "supposedly" because none of this seems real and part of me wonders if I dreamed it. But okay, fine. You tracked your costs but didn't charge them. Since the error was their fault, we didn't have to pay.  Again, I have paid for PLENTY of people's errors on bills before but okay.  Cool?  I feel like a bill is coming.  But I always feel like a surprise bill is coming, because one usually is.  Typing all this out is making me more paranoid about money than usual, so let's move on to cuter things:


Like that.  I crocheted a cover for a tissue box and that was Evelyn's Valentine's box.  She helped me sew on one of the studs.  There were other Lego-themed mailboxes in her class, but she was pretty proud of hers and let everyone know that I had made it.  Also, we may now be the kind of people who have tissue box covers which is kind of fun and fancy.  I usually roll my eyes over things like this, but it's fun and Evelyn loves Legos.  The best things in life usually aren't entirely free, but stuff like this proves they can be had pretty inexpensively.

No comments: