Sunday, January 24, 2016

Barbies and BFFs

Evelyn had me ask Sara over for a play date.

Mom gave Evelyn a Barbie car a few weeks ago, and she was elated. Sara was a little indignant and took the moment to remind us that she's always wanted one.....to which Evelyn replied, "Yeah, but you never got one."

Um. So.

Friday, she thought it would be a great idea to have Sara over for a play date so they could both enjoy the Barbie car and Barbies.  I texted Sara, and then Evelyn was trying to type things out on my phone, and then they were both pretty much talking through me.

Sara came to play on Saturday morning, and she came bearing gifts.  A new Barbie, a Barbie puppy, and some accessories.  They played with everything, switched some outfits around, and then decided to go have lunch and run some errands--just the two of them.

Oh man.


They went to Olive Garden and had pizza and breadsticks.  They made plans to have a sleepover where they would bake cookies and watch movies.  They went to the mall and bought lip gloss at Claire's. 

They got manicures!

Evelyn had to wear workout clothes because Sara was wearing workout clothes.

I think they'd been out of the house for maybe 5 minutes when Cody joked, "You know she's going to want to have another play date with Sara tomorrow, right?"  I waved him off dismissively and ran about half a dozen errands unfettered by a sick husband or a squirrelly  little girl.  I got home maybe two minutes before the stylish ladies came back.  I think they spent around 3 hours playing, and then Evelyn spent the next 4 hours of the day telling us about it. 

She didn't mention inviting Sara over today, but I did have to take a picture of the Barbies all lined up with my phone and text it to Sara to let her know the Barbies have accepted the new one into the fold.  And I have to email her some pertinent information on Evelyn's behalf in the morning.

Laine joked that neither of us will ever be the favorite aunt, which wasn't even something I thought we were trying out for.  Mom aunts just pass down old clothes and toys.  Fun aunts and uncles like Sara and Levi, though...there's no competing with them and I'm way too tired to try.  Besides, everyone needs an aunt like Sara and I'm pretty pumped that Evelyn has her. I think Sara and Evelyn are pretty happy, too.

No comments: