Saturday, September 5, 2015

Dishcloth of the Week: this is not a blanket

I used a blanket pattern for a dishcloth!  Let's be honest, I'll turn anything into a dishcloth. 

It's the Garter Stitch Baby Blanket pattern recipe from Elizabeth Zimmermann.  I'm not sure what the name for it really is, but Ravelry calls it "Baby Blanket pattern" and Zimmermann talks about it a little in her lesson on Great Garter Stitch in her Knitting Workshop video.  Sometimes I watch that on DVD just for fun, and sometimes I actually watch it to see how to do things.  After checking out the instructions for the blanket a couple of times, I thought it would be fun to try.  (There's a DVD and a book.  I've had the book for years, and Cody got me the DVD series for Christmas last year. So much fun!)

So I started the blanket.  I used some super bulky scraps and that's where all my Lion Brand Thick & Quick has gone.  I'm not finished yet and I was a little concerned about the joining part of the pattern.  So I practiced with this dishcloth.


It's a fun pattern where you knit one stitch fewer on every row and then pick up one more stitch after a while.  I don't want to say much more without giving it away entirely, but it's simple and fun. Also, I just love garter stitch--especially garter stitch dishcloths.  This was a fun way to make a square. 


Plus, I learned I really need to work on my seaming.  So now I know to be super careful when it's time to finish up the blanket.  And in the meantime, I have a nice little dishcloth to add to my gift stash.

Pattern: Baby Blanket from Knitting Workshop
Yarn: Sugar'n Cream Ombre in Azalea, 90ish yards
Needle size: #7

No comments: