Thursday, April 30, 2015

My face

I went back to wearing contact lenses.  I've got glasses for my off-days, and I'm still not certain how well this is going to work out now that I apparently have an astigmatism in my right eye and Evelyn went to the appointment with me and I was trying to tell the doctor which image was clearer while Evelyn was announcing "Hey, hey.  I wanted to tell you somethin'.  My mom put away the dollhouse I made with my Lincoln logs last night and I wasn't done with them." and I'm not sure he heard me (although he did explain that sometimes we have to pick up toys).  Still, it's pretty exciting to not having something on my face or falling off my face or having my vision distorted because I wanted to pull back my hair and my glasses got pulled along with it.

I do feel weird about my face being so...nekkid, though.
 

I'd forgotten that one of the major reasons I started wearing glasses, apart from glasses being cute and my personality being well-suited to severe-looking frames, was so that I could cover up my face.  I didn't have a super compelling reason that I wanted to cover my face, other than I just kind of felt like it.  And now my face is just kind of out there for the first time in 5 or 6 years.  I always forget my face is as angular as it is, and how I look without make-up even though I usually don't wear it on days I'm not at work. 

And I forget that I have a severe-looking face.  Or at least that's how it looks to me.  Most pictures of me these days are taken by Evelyn and I tend to smile at her a lot.  Who couldn't help but smile at her?


Anyway, that's what happened today.  Cody had to work in the morning, so I took the day off and had my eyes checked and then Evelyn and I went by Sara's office and met her lovely candy-sharing co-workers.  It was a beautiful day to drive around and look at all the greenery and blue skies and wispy clouds.  I feel like I have some kind of superpower now that my peripheral vision is back, and I'm almost looking forward to seeing how dirty our shower curtain liner is as I take a shower and know what exactly is going on with my surroundings for the first time in a while. Almost.

So. I had made a conscious decision a while ago to start blogging more about my thoughts or things that were happening in my life as opposed to some pictures of what we'd done with a saccharine-feeling summary, and this is one of my attempts.  Hi!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I miss reading your blog! I don't really have time to be sitting here, but I'm hiding in the bedroom while Audria is running too much water in the tub and hopping in and out. I guess I won't really have to mop later. I think of the same things about glasses and contacts. Even the shower curtain liner part.

Evelyn is getting so grown-up! She's beautiful.

Jen said...

Oh man, I miss you! (If they love being in the water so much why do they get out? Whyyyyy?)
Thank you!! She thinks she's super grown-up.