Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Some this and that


Evelyn has been riding her bike around her grandparents' house for the past couple of days and we're excited about having her home soon.

In the meantime, Cody's been working and running errands and donating blood for the first time in quite a while.  And I'm knitting.  I haven't taken pictures of anything new in the past few days, but here are some projects I have thought to take pictures of. 

Lorne's Hat by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  It used a little over a skein of some sport weight yarn I've had forever and I love it.


This is for Sara's birthday, which is in August.  I feel way ahead of the game with this!  It's knitting up beautifully. I bought the yarn a couple of Christmases ago, but couldn't figure out what to do with it.


I promise you that Evelyn is pleased with these!  Um, once we were able to explain that the blue thumbs were a design choice and not something 'wrong' with her mittens.


I made some big ol' changes to Elizabeth Zimmermann's 36-stitch mitten pattern.  It's basically the only mitten pattern I can make, and it's divisible by 4.  So I did some math and did some things.  And now Evelyn has some mittens!  These are basically 36-stitch mittens, but just reduced by 20% or so.  I think I knit these a bit longer than I thought I would need to, but girlfriend has long fingers.

And this!


I really liked the Age of Brass and Steam pattern that I made for Mom's birthday present, and so I made this for myself with some yarn that I've had for 2 or 3 years.  I've tried to work it into a couple of different hats and haven't liked.  I added another pattern repeat, and that used up about 75% of the skein.  I haven't taken any pictures of me wearing this, but I hope I will soon.  It wears wonderfully and I wore it last week to work.  It was fantastic!

I feel like I've been shopping from my stash a lot this month and it's been wonderful.  I've only used up 3 or 4 skeins this month, but I really like the things I've made and it's been excellent to see yarn I like knitted up into projects I love.  Also, on Sunday afternoon I went through some of my yarn and fabric (I still have fabric around here like I still think I'm going to sew things). I threw away nearly half a trash bag of fabric scraps, and then I bundled up two tote bags of yarn to donate.  Even the tote bags!  All gone!  Glorious!

There was a skein of super bulky velour pink yarn that was eye-searingly bright.  I knit a scarf with it for Evelyn on Monday.  It's not pictured, but she was pretty thrilled with it.  Maybe I can get her to model it for me when the weather gets a bit cooler.

Some of the other projects I haven't photographed in a while are some mittens for Ellis, a cloak for Evelyn that I'm just sort of winging it with some bulky yarn I want to use up, and another garter stitch shawl.  And another hat for Cody.  It's a Zimmermann pattern and my next hat to knit for a challenge to knit 15 hats in 2015.  If it works out well, I'll probably make a similar one for Casey for his birthday.  That probably means I should make one for Evelyn since she shares their birthday month. 

The March birthday people last year, all hatless.

I'm sure I'll be able to make it 20% smaller.

No comments: