Monday, December 8, 2014

We had a mountain adventure

I took Evelyn to Petit Jean yesterday!


 I've had a list of outdoorsy things I've been wanting to do this fall, but things always get in the way. Social obligations, weather, you know.  But yesterday the weather looked pretty, so off we went.

We wound up at the lookout first and as soon as we pulled into the parking lot, Evelyn said "We didn't climb this mountain" with enough resigned disappointment to actually make me feel bad.  So next time we'll be hiking more, I guess.


 It's been forever since I've been there, but it was lovely even though we didn't see the fall leaves.  We were on top of a mountain!



Evelyn climbed over fairly small rocks and was very dramatic about it.



She loved running on the walkway and held her arms out so she could feel like a bird.




We later went to the visitors center and bought a little frog souvenir.  She was feeling pretty confident about finding a park, so she did most of the talking with the park workers and strode in saying "Hey, do you guys have a playground?" like she did this sort of thing all the time.  The playground was nearby, so we had a picnic lunch and had an entire playground to ourselves.





I made her check out the lake with me because it was pretty. There were a few fall colors left around, and she was really interested in the bumpy roots on the cedar trees near the water.   And we're both suckers for kicking through leaves.





I took the scenic route on the way home, thinking Evelyn would fall asleep.  She didn't, but she was pleasant. I maybe took several scenic routes? It's never a big deal trying to get back to a major city because the roads eventually get me there.  I went through a few towns I never knew existed even though I've been traveling along I-40 for a ridiculous amount of my life. Man, that part of Arkansas is pretty.  It was a wonderful day.

No comments: