Sunday, November 2, 2014

Book list for October 2014

I've been feeling kind of silly and spooky this fall, so I read the first two books of the All Souls Trilogy.  Asterisks mark library books.

A Discovery of Witches. Deborah Harkness*
Shadow of Night. Deborah Harkness*

The first book has quite a bit about magical creatures' DNA and interspecies yoga and romance and silliness.  The second book has time travel and alchemy and witch hunts and implausible interactions with historical figures. 

They were silly but satisfying reads, and I need to request the last book, The Book of Life, super soon because I'm enjoying this world.  I like a lot of the characters and I think I'm going to feel sad when this is all over.

I'm still reading some bits and pieces of Hildegard of Bingen's writings before bed, and I thought about trying the Divergent Trilogy.  I stayed up late reading the first 70 pages of the first book and decided that this was just not for me.  Too many kids in peril.  I've read the Hunger Games books and Harry Potter.  I know what I can't handle.  Namely, anything.  I can't handle pretty much anything.  It started getting rough when I was pregnant and it gets worse the older Evelyn is.  It's no wonder I'm turning to witches and demons and vampires bickering over their bylaws and historical texts.  I'm not sure what bit of fun reading I'll find next.

No comments: