Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I want to make more time for myself. Or for Elizabeth Zimmermann. Either one is fine.

I have been knitting a shawl.


The Pi Shawl, actually.  It's one of those knitting recipes Elizabeth Zimmerman dreamed up, with really simple and smart increases.  There's a lot of room to play around with all the straight knitting rows, and her basic pattern even lists a few.  I've just been knitting stockinette for thousands of stitches, though.


 It's as boring and soothing as it sounds.  I love it. I took it to the beach in May and did the majority of the knitting on it then.  Sometimes I fell asleep while doing it.  Which was awesome.  I had it my purse on a big errand-running day a few weeks ago, but I haven't touched it since.  I hadn't even photographed until last night!  I'm trying to write more about my knitting on my personal blog, but I haven't been doing a ton of personal knitting lately.  And that's another thing I'm trying to do more of lately.  So I'm glad to be talking about this now.

You can sort of see in this picture that I've done my last increase row.  Now I'm just supposed to knit 40 rounds or until I get tired.  Since I'm taking so many breaks with this, I'll have plenty of resting periods.  This is going to be a pretty good-sized shawl, and I'm looking forward to wearing it more like a bunched up scarf.  To be knitted with sock yarn and #7 needles, this knitted fabric is still fairly solid.  It's going to be super warm.


And then I'll have knitted my first shawl pattern.  I think that's going to feel as amazing as actually wearing the shawl!

In the meantime, I'm going to try out some other patterns too.  Because I get to review a book!


I got a copy of New American Knits and I'll be writing up a review some time this weekend.  I can't wait!  And then I'm going to knit something out of it!  Maybe multiple things!  I haven't actually read the patterns yet--I've just looked through the pictures.  The designs aren't quite as traditional as a Zimmermann recipe, but they look pretty close.  I think they'll be fun.  I'm already having more fun writing over here more often.  I hope whatever you're working on in the middle of the week is going well.

2 comments:

Susan Dougill said...

Can't wait to see the shawl finished! You'll have to take a picture of yourself wearing it :-)

Jen said...

Thanks, me neither. I'm going to do the most obnoxious post full of so many pictures, ha! It's my first shawl, and my biggest EZ pattern so far!