Sunday, July 13, 2014

Memphis day trips are my favorite vacations

I took Evelyn to Memphis on Friday!  She's been talking about 'the dinosaur place' for almost a month now, and I had a little bit of free time.  We didn't tell Evelyn about the plans until the day before, because she was already talking about wanting to go nonstop.  She wouldn't have slept if we'd told her earlier!  So Laine and I met up at the Pink Palace on Friday morning, ready for learning adventures! Ellis was excited to see Evelyn, and Evelyn was really excited to ride in a stroller.  I think she wanted one because Ellis had one, but I was excited that she stayed in it.  She was pretty sleepy and pushing this around was a lot easier than carrying her.  I had the stroller in the trunk of my car from when we went to the Pink Palace in September.


Hands down, the most fantastic part of the whole trip was the exhibit on insects, Twice Bitten:  Robotic Insects and Live Tarantulas. It was so greate we went through two times.  Evelyn asked to do so and Laine and I jumped at the chance.  It was too dark to get a picture of the grasshopper, but here's a giant praying mantas.


Here's Evelyn and Ellis posing 'in' a spider web.  Evelyn thought it was cool.


Also, since she's really into these cut-outs these days, we took a few pictures.




Not pictured: Laine holding up Ellis and sweating in an enclosed space.  Once she had him settled in his stroller, she took this picture of us so Evelyn could take a turn being a tarantula.


She really likes them right now, so the live exhibit thrilled her quite a bit.  They had a lot of different kinds!


The reason Evelyn believes the Pink Palace is the Dinosaur Place is because of this guy.


He really made an impression on her both times she's been to the Pink Palace in the past year--even though her last visit was in Februrary.  He scares her, she doesn't like him, and we had to see him FOUR times on this visit.  She covered her ears every time.

Also, there was this:


And this:



It seems like any time I try to visit on a weekend, the older part of the museum is tied up with a wedding reception and we don't get to see old architecture or shrunken heads or that polar bear.  Ellis and Evelyn were a little underwhelmed with this portion, but they were relatively patient while Laine and I fawned of old ball gowns from Memphis events.  That means Evelyn whined and side-eyed us while Ellis watched her in wide-eyed wonder.

After lunch at the museum because the cafe was open and Laine and I didn't want to load and unload bodies in car seats, we looked through our favorite parts again and headed back to Laine's house to play.





And mostly that meant that Ellis bounced in his little bouncy seat and crawled after Evelyn. He's quite the belly crawler now and he loves to follow Evelyn.  This tickles me.  Evelyn still has problems sharing Ellis's own toys with him, but she likes to read him stories and tried to hold him at least once. 

Not pictured: Evelyn's beautiful red glitter TOMS shoes from Laine and Ellis, and Ellis's clapping skills.  He had just started doing it the night before and we got to see it a lot!  Sweet, sweet child.  He let me steal all kinds of sugars.  Evelyn was also sweet about letting me steal her cousin's sugars, but mostly I did while she was busy going through his things.


She saws she's going to teach him how to ride this rocking lamb.

She picked out her own outfit and thought her matching shirt and pants were great. He may disagree.
 I love these sweet babies.


Evelyn did pretty well on the drive to and from Memphis.  Both kids did pretty well with the skipped naps.  I didn't get the chance to go to Yarniverse, but there's always next time.  I love little day vacations, and I'm really glad Evelyn comes along with me on them.  I want to take some more before the summer's over and I hope a few more of them involve Memphis!

No comments: