Thursday, March 20, 2014

It's the first day of spring

We have some sunflower seeds in the windowsill.

I'm starting to outright fantasize about shopping at the farmers market again.

I already have sandals and sundresses for Evelyn. 

I started pulling out my warmer-weather clothes tonight and found this:


What?  WHAT?!

I have no idea how or why that got into my things, but I'm so incredibly relieved that I found it.  Evelyn's asked about it off and on all through the winter and I felt terrible every time I had to tell her I couldn't find it.  And goodness knows we've all looked. 

She was happy to see it, and it's in bed with her right now.  Oh how wonderful.

I started making blankets about a month ago.  I came home from a funeral for a baby we all wanted to meet, and started knitting squares.  I think I made 15 just that weekend.  For a week, I obsessively knitted while I read to Evelyn and answered her questions and just watched her play.  I've been steadily working on them since, and now I'm nearly finished.  The seaming will take a while and, like I said before, I'll probably work on this at knight night because this is going to be a LOT of stitching together.


Then I cast on the Square Shawl pattern by Elizabeth Zimmermann and made a crazy yellow blanket that Jessi is going to give to a pregnant co-worker. 


I messed up in at least 3 different places (for starters, it's not supposed to spiral), but I still like how it looks.  And Jessi was pleased with it, so I'm calling it a success.

And this past weekend, once I was able to crochet without having a crazy coughing fit, I started making little squares for a blanket that might be for a supervisor's baby shower. 


Or I might make the Square Shawl pattern again because all I really want to do right now is make a bunch of Elizabeth Zimmermann patterns. 

I really like yellow projects and gray projects.  Maybe not necessarily together.  Oh well.  I'm happy Evelyn's got her quilt back, I'm looking forward to finishing up her little knitted blanket, and once I finish this post I'm going to work on a tote bag.  I'm not crazy about the construction, but it's using up scraps pretty well and I'm going to get another post out of it. 

Plus, it's going to come in handy when we go to the farmers market.  Yes, it all comes back to the farmers market.  I just care about blankets and produce, or keeping people warm and fed.  Either way you want to see it, I'm looking forward to more making and more eating.  Happy spring!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

All of these are fantastic! I am amazed at people who can make stuff like this with their hands.

Jen said...

Thank you so much! I love making things--especially when they turn out as I'd hoped they would.

Jeanetta Darley said...

Oh love it all. Crochet is such good therapy for me.

Jen said...

Thanks, Jeanetta! I love crocheting.