Monday, February 24, 2014

Making a terrarium with a toddler

I bought some terrarium plants at the flower and garden show this weekend because I love plants and I've wanted a terrarium for a while now.  Lucky for me, they're in fashion and easy to assemble.  It's a small project so I thought it would be a fun project to do with a nearly-three-year-old person.  It went so well I'm going to pretend this is a tutorial post!

Step 1: Set everything out beforehand.  I washed my three-dollar bag of rocks (the fact that we're so urban I'm buying rocks is making my very soul twitchy.  Holy smokes) and lidded jar (something from Michaels) during naptime and put everything out ONLY after Evelyn said she wanted to plant some plants.


Step 2: Wonder why you didn't move this outside on the balcony/put out something on the table/put out something on the floor.

Step 3: Pray about the floor.

Step 4: Let girlfriend dump the rocks.  All of them.  We're not the kind of people who keep pebbles in a little baggie for future craft projects.  Then we might have to have pebble projects!

Step 5: Scoop dirt into your container.  I grabbed some old dirt from our empty pots from last year and let Evelyn scoop it into the new pot with a measuring cup.



Step 6: remove your itty bitty terrarium plants from their itty bitty pots.  Not pictured because Evelyn was trying to crush them/pull them out like weeds.  The sign at the booth said they were not hardy, so I just asked her where she thought they should be planted and did the rest myself.

Step 7: Water the plants.  Water them hardcore.  Maybe you should yell "Here you go, plants! You are sirsty!" so the plants will know to get excited about their new lives.


Step 8: Throw (literally) some rocks in there along with some moss you found on the balcony.


Step 9: Put a lid on it.


Step 10: Explain why we can't water again just yet.

Step 11: Enjoy the lovely display of teeny tiny plants and rest secure in the knowledge that this container is better suited for open windows than the poinsettia.  (Whoops.)


Step 12: Vacuum.

This was a fun little project! It's not as messy as something with glitter, and not as tantrum-inducing as something with felt (I think that's just my crafter, though).  Plus, now I have a terrarium and it looks as charming as that Martha Stewart Living article told me it would be.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Love it. I always forget to cover surfaces that ought to be covered. :)

Jen said...

Thanks! We survived, but sometimes I wonder how much longer we can keep abusing the vacuum like this, ha!