Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Girl trip for a Memphis adventure!

Yesterday I decided, "Nah, I'm sure the roads are fine," bribed Evelyn into the car with the promise of Pop Tarts, and listened to the Red Hot Chili Peppers' greatest hits on repeat to Memphis.  We met Laine and Evelyn at the Pink Palace because I had directions to get there. 

No, really.

We looked at nearly every exhibit, but usually only for a few seconds at a time because Evelyn gets bored easily and Ellis would cry if the stroller didn't keep moving.  Mom adventures!

We saw the polar bear!  Okay, Laine and I were impressed.


Not so much Evelyn.


She had the place to herself pretty much.




Some things we did visit several times--like replicas of stores, carriages, and this mannequin reenactment of a Civil War-era battlefield amputation.  She's very interested in booboos right now.



Then we went back to Laine's house to see Robert and feed Ellis this bottle.




I made his sweater, by the way.  Yay!




Laine was taking pictures with her phone and Evelyn was smiling for her.  It looks a little scary from this angle.



Eventually, Evelyn got a little bored with feeding Ellis.  So I got a turn and I enjoyed all of his grunts and alert eye contact and then I probably burped him for 10 straight minutes just so I could hold him.  What a glorious chubby baby.

Evelyn still mostly just wants to play with his toys and put Boris in his swing while Robert helped her adjust the settings.  She was mostly excited to see Laine, and they got to hang out and snuggle a bit before we left.  And that's why I have this series of lovely photographs.




Evelyn was an amazingly happy traveler on the way to Memphis, and she was also pretty pleasant on the way back.  She fell asleep before we ever crossed the Mississippi, and didn't wake up to fuss from boredom until an hour or so from home.  Even with ice flying off of people's cars and having to carry Evelyn into a gas station in her pajamas, it was our greatest traveling day EVER.  We only had to slow down for construction/weirdness a couple of times, and the roads were fine.

It was a much needed day for both of us and I'm so glad we got to go.  We're iced in today and my head is dying from sinus pressure.  Evelyn is a bit grouchy, but is really enjoying reading books while sitting in her Boppy.  Laine gave me mine back, and Cody and I are really looking forward to more naps on the couch with that thing.  I'm so happy I got to take a trip with my little girl to see Laine and her little family.  Perfect day.

No comments: