Sunday, December 8, 2013

A birthday post for Gil!

It's Mom's birthday!


We're not celebrating.

At least, not today.  Most of us are (safely, at least) snowed in.  I called Mom and she said that Sara and Chad brought over pizza to get out of the house.  Levi and Dad have been taking care of outside animals, and Laine's been growing her baby.  The three of us have been watching lots of cartoons and doing crafts. 

I guess we're all making fun in our own way, but it's not the same.  We'll have to have a big celebration later.  I called Mom and Evelyn waved at the phone while I talked, and then made me sing the happy birthday song while she smiled her creepy picture smile into the distance.  We've already made a card for Gil, and Evelyn did get to spend Thursday and Friday with her grandparents.  Then they had to brave the scary roads to get my baby to me before weather conditions got so bad that I would have had to to wait until Tuesday to see her.  Such good parents.  Them, not necessarily me. 


They're excellent grandparents.  My pride and stubbornness keeps me from saying that my mom is currently Evelyn's favorite person, but I will concede that my mom is definitely one of Evelyn's favorite people and her house is definitely one of Evelyn's favorite places to be.  I'm always excited that Evelyn's grandparents are so involved and loving, and watching Mom and Evelyn together never fails to crack me up.  They explore and learn and do crafts and sing and smile at each other.  It's always been this way and I hope it always is. 


My mom does plenty of other important things, but this Gil business is probably my favorite side of her.  I've really enjoyed watching my mom be a grandma these past few years, and I'm really looking forward to seeing her with Laine's baby very soon.  It's been a big few years and it's only going to get better! 


Happy birthday!  We love you and can't wait to celebrate with you!

No comments: