Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Because it's April

"The Wasteland" T.S. Eliot

One of the nice things about being out of school is that I can just read things for the sake of reading them.  Or not read them for years at a time.  I have the freedom to read through a poem, realize that I don't understand even a quarter of it, and go on about my day.  Or, if I want, I can read footnotes and look up scholarly articles online--it's "The Wasteland."  It's not like I have to poke around obscure journals in a dusty corner of a library to see if anyone has an opinion on it.

But it's April, and even though being an adult out of school means I almost never do whatever I want, when it comes to reading I get to do whatever I want.  And this morning I read "The Wasteland" because I felt like it.  I like the glimpses of people Eliot created.  I like that it's an intentional mess.  I like the fractured thoughts.

It's not even my favorite Eliot poem, but I don't know what is.  So whatever.  But I liked reading it this morning and thought you might, too.

No comments: