Thursday, February 14, 2013

Always love



I finished Cody and Evelyn's Valentines last night.

Cody got the heart on the left because if there's anything I have, it's love and yarn.
Then I wrote him a quick note and appalled myself with my handwriting.

Evelyn got the heart on the right because she likes it when I draw hearts that smile.
Or any other object that smiles.

And then she colors them.

I got her a few gifts, too.



Cody had already sent me a text of Evelyn holding/eating her heart this morning, and then he sent one that read "If you thought she liked the heart, you should have seen her when she saw the markers."  I wish I had seen her.  She's dried out nearly all the markers we have, and I thought she'd be excited about the bigger markers because she can get a little impatient with her coloring.  She really loves coloring, though.  And working the caps on markers.  She's pretty meticulous about that.

Cody's home with her today because he's unemployed.  Again.  I can't talk about it without laughing.  Hysterically.  It's pretty disconcerting.  But what else can you do?  He knew the job wasn't the best fit within the first hour, but it would have been nice to have some kind of employment while he kept looking.

He's home a lot right now, and Evelyn's sick. So it's kind of nice that he's home.  Evelyn really, really likes him.  She still got to see my mom yesterday, because they partied while Cody went out and made eye contact and filled out applications and picked up his last check and filed for unemployment.  Fun stuff.  He was so excited about all the fun that he woke up at 5:30 in the morning (or maybe his body is just nostalgic) and drank coffee and filled out online applications.

He doesn't sleep well, and I can't fall asleep.  Evelyn wants to sleep, but I think her cough disrupted things last night.  Medicine seems to help, though.  Cody thinks she feels better today because her appetite is good.  We're just dragging a little bit.  That happens every winter, though.

Sometime after her nap, Cody will take her by his mom's house to get her Valentine's Day present.  
Her cards from my parents and at least one aunt should be in the mail today or tomorrow.

I think I saw Evelyn for a full hour last night.  Work is pretty crazy.  If only I could earn overtime.  

I'm hoping to get home a little earlier tonight.  It's the first Valentine's Day Cody and I have had together in a couple of years, and I'm looking forward to drawing with Evelyn and hearing about their day. Then I'll tell Cody that everyone loved the strawberry cake he made for me to take to work, and try to photograph Evelyn in sunglasses because I think that's the cutest thing ever.

I just wanted you to know how we're doing.
I don't write that much because work is intense and I miss my family so I don't like to take time away from them when we're together and I'm still writing for Leisure Arts, which means if I'm going to write for free or write to get paid.....then well, yeah.

Plus, there's not too much to say.  Cody's looking for work.  I'm trying to do work.  Evelyn's saying new words every day and learning things and looking pretty and running around in circles with a book in her hand saying "help!" because she still can't read.

Things are pretty good.

I know it probably doesn't look like it, or sound like it, but things are good.

We have income, relatively good health, wonderful people in our lives, and each other.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I still feel that way after getting Cody's Valentine's Day present.   He said he thought it was "creative," which only increased my levels of apprehension and dread.

But for today I feel loving and I feel loved.



Happy Valentine's Day.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you for the Beautiful card! I love that girl! I miss ya'll too!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Luisa Rodriguez said...

The first heart is beautiful! Really loved it!!