Monday, December 17, 2012

30, Flirty, and Thriving

I'm 30!

I'm oddly excited about my birthday this year.  My twenties seemed to take a while.  I liked them, for the most part.  But I'm ready for this.  I've always thought I was the kind of person who might seem a little less ludicrous when I hit my thirties.

I'm a little disappointed in myself that I've never demanded to speak with a manager.

But I made it through the decade with a degree, a husband, a baby, a car that's paid off, 4 pairs of glasses, a root canal, a car accident (did I ever tell you I had a minor fender bender when I was 6 months' pregnant?  I did), storm damage, 5 or so jobs, and two cameras.

A friend joked on my Facebook wall that 30 was the new 20 and I immediately thought, "No."  I'm not doing 20.  Never, ever again.

Thirty-year-old Me is much happier than twenty-year-old Me.  I have a better sleep schedule, better health, more confidence, and fewer maintenance medications.  I don't think I'll ever be able to express how excited I am to be done with allergy shots, but it's a pretty high level of excitement.

I'm looking forward to my thirties.  They seem like they'll be a better fit.  I'm already the kind of person who has opinions on cloth diapers and breast pumps and voter registration laws.  I've been quoting news outlets since I was 9, and I've noticed that people have stopped snorting with amused surprise less and less.  And I like that.  I'm turning into the kind of person who has favorite diaper bags and knitting needles.  I've never been a big follower of clothing trends, but now people don't even seem to expect me to know about those weird high heel booties things.

I'm happy.  We're not having a big party until we have a family party later this month, and that's fine.  I don't feel like I have the energy to party for myself.  But I already enjoyed spending some birthday money from my parents last week.  I feel silly getting birthday money at this age, but I'm unpleasant to shop for and I really enjoyed using most of it to buy yarn for gifts and to buy Evelyn's Christmas presents.  I'd really been looking forward to buying her presents, and now they're here.  Mom told me to spend at least some of it on myself, and so I bought some nice hand cream because I've always had terrible old lady hands.

Cody gave me The Principles of Knitting this morning, which is the granddaddy of all knitting books and I can't wait to dig through it tonight.  He and Evelyn are going to write nice cards to me (I demand them), and we're having Chinese food tonight.  I haven't had any in a while, and I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's leftovers.  Also, there may be cake.  I'm looking forward to that, too.

I've gotten some very nice emails and texts, and I'm looking forward to the rest of my day.  I'm looking forward to a lot of things.  It feels great.

4 comments:

Laine said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you got some nice hand cream, I know you need it. Even though I think that's kind of a hilarious thing to spend birthday money on. But, I hope your knuckles make it through the winter un-cracked because of it!

Jen said...

It was Burt's Bees, man! It's not something I'd usually buy out of nowhere and I felt really fancy! I've been putting it on every night, and I'm looking at my hands right now. They don't look like they've been in scalding dishwater all day, so I'm calling it a win!

arkansaseden said...

Amen to the weird high-heeled booties! Sometimes I think I should probably buy some boots so that I can look more like a grown-up and less like a lazy college student (Fact: Most of my shoes I have worn since college.). But I really, really hate those stupid boots.

And I totally feel more legitimate now that I'm thirty. I haven't been mistaken as the babysitter or the big sister in quite some time. It feels pretty good.

Jen said...

Ugh, me too. I have quite a few shoes (and pajama pants) from college that are serving me well. I catch myself asking "Should I be wearing a statement necklace with a flowy top?" like it's a grownup uniform.

I, too, love not being frowned at for looking like a teen mom.