Thursday, September 6, 2012

Things making me really happy at this moment

First off, my morning glories!




I feel like I waited a million years for these!  At least 2 years and this whole summer.  I can't take very good pictures because they're above my head, but our very loud and possibly somewhat crazy neighbor has a really great view now.  I'm so happy they're here!

I'm reading more Douglas Adams.  We're coming up on that time of year where people I cared about died within a pretty short space of time.  One of them was a big Douglas Adams fan (he was buried with his favorite book of his, but I don't remember what that was) and re-reading something silly and brilliant is making me smile. I'm enjoying happy memories of my friend and because I'm enjoying the reading.  I'm through with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and on to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I'm going to knitting group at the library tonight.

Dallas's birthday is Saturday.

Evelyn is walking.  I think we can call it that.  There's no pictures or videos, but she's just grooving right along like a champion.

I talked to Mamaw Myrtle a couple of days ago.  I thought I would check on her because it's been  a year since EA died and I wanted to see how she was doing.  She was resting because she's been "down in [her] back" for a few days.  Apparently her garden is producing enough to feed half the town, so I can see where she might have overdone things.  She loved the pictures of Evelyn that I sent her and has shown her friends.  She gave a copy of this one:


to Bobby--the man in the picture and our old preacher--at church a few weeks ago.  He then went around church showing everyone.  So Evelyn's more famous than ever before, and I got another reminder that we are so very loved.

Speaking of this family and love, I know I've told you that Evelyn June is so named because it's a pretty name and because I've always known that if I had a child with an "E" name, s/he would have a middle name that started with "J" and would share initials with EJ (who I call EA, but whatever).

What I don't think I've mentioned was that I got it wrong.  Because he never told us what EJ stood for, we (my parents included) thought that he had a name that started with an "E" and a middle name that started with a "J".

When we read his obituary last year--which listed me as his granddaughter and said that he had 5 great-grandchildren (that includes Evelyn)--I discovered that EJ was just a nickname for Elijah.

Imagine how hysterically you would laugh if you were already distraught, sleep-deprived, and grieving and discovered that you had kinda sorta........ misnamed your baby.  Then throw in Mtn. Dew.  You would then have my reaction. 

It's been a year.  I think I've mostly gotten past the feeling that I will never do anything completely right with this child, and I can take comfort in the fact that she mostly does share initials with a man she's not 'really' related to and everyone thinks her name is great anyway.

Shirley likes to call her "baby EJ" sometimes.  That's something that makes me happy.

I can't believe I've known Dallas since he was younger than Evelyn.  I hope he misnames his firstborn after one of us someday.  I'd add it to the list of things that make me happy.


Cody brought home a peanut butter pie last night.  I'm happy to say that I'm going to have some for a snack now.


UPDATE: Cody just came home and brought a grande pumpkin spice latte with him.  Easily the best day of my week.

No comments: