Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Evelyn June is 17 months old!

Evelyn is a big girl.  It's official.  She takes steps and has 6 teeth and her climbing skills are unparalleled.  I know when I type that out, she sounds like a nine-month-old.  Don't care.

Her fine motor skills are awesome.  She's all about order.  She stacks these little blocks, one inside the other, in the right order without getting frustrated.  She does the same thing with her cups.  She also started doing it with those stacking ring things.  That one just sort of happened like it was no big deal.  What I like about it is that she has 2 different stacking rings sets and she obviously knows the difference between the two, even if I throw them all in the floor together.

You can also do this with stacking rings.  You should see this girl carry a purse.


She's obsessed with pointing at cats and dogs, both in real life and in pictures.  My mom swears she thinks she heard her saying "meow" (or trying to say it) when she saw pictures of a cat in a book.

And books.  We've read a lot this month.  Firstly, because we always read.  Secondly, because it's been too hot to do much of anything else.  And lastly, because it makes her feel better when she feels bad.  And for the past 2 weeks, this girl has felt bad.  She had teeth coming in, then a summer cold, then another tooth, then a sad tummy, and then general malaise.  She finally started perking up last week and was our happy girl once again on Sunday.  Lovely.

Aside from animals and books, she's still really interested in drains, pictures of faces, and buttons.  When it rained last week we enjoyed all the water running in the streets (and an ant infestation that must have led to her getting her first ant sting.  Cool).  I bought her a pair of Disney princess pajamas because I was looking for sleepwear and she wouldn't stop touching and smiling at a bright pink set covered in glitter and the smiling faces of Belle, Sleeping Beauty, and someone else I don't care about.

Did I mention that these pajamas are pants and a top?  SHE'S SO BIG!  I mean, yes, I bought in Size 12 months instead of 18 months but I think the larger set probably would have been fine.....even if she'll be wearing 12 month things for quite a while longer.

But maybe not.  She's looking a little chubby these days.  Since she's not one to get all roly-poly and give her mommy a break from the remarks of strangers, this probably means she's going to shoot up a couple of inches.  Or just an inch.  Still.  You can tell she's getting bigger.

Oh, and buttons?  She loves them.  She flips light switches, turns the TV on and off, and has nearly figured out the sequence of the touchscreen buttons on the order screens at the restaurant.  I don't know if she's just been blessed with a great memory, or if she's just that motivated to make a receipt print out (that's her favorite part). Either way, I'm a little freaked out.  But also proud, as if I had something to do with it.

Her sleep habits and bedtimes have been a little strange lately, but I'm just going to attribute it to the changing weather and her sickliness.  It does make me a little sad that she seemed to feel so much better when she was sick and fussy this month after we'd give her bottles of old frozen breast milk, but I'm sticking with our schedule of nursing twice a day if I'm home.  We'll nurse right as she wakes up, if I'm here, and we'll nurse before bedtime.  And sometimes, we have a bottle.  Sometimes other people give her a bottle before her nap.  I don't know how long we can keep that up, but it's nice that we can for now.

Also: she sings.  I love it.

I love a lot about this girl.  She's the best.  Here's the proof:











1 comment:

Laine said...

She's such a little person...I feel like that happened really fast! Happy 17th month birthday Evelyn!