Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer vacation

The restaurant closes for an entire week around the 4th of July every year.  This year, I decided to do the same.

I usually take off a day or two to enjoy some free time with Cody, and now Evelyn, but this year I felt like using up some more vacation days (even though I'm earning half the days I used to because of this schedule. Then again, when you're always gone 2 out of every 5 work days it's not difficult to get away for an entire week).

I've written a list of things we want to do with this time off--not necessarily a to-do list, but just a way to remind ourselves of all the things we thought we'd get around to doing with this extra time.

So far, we've had a date night without Evelyn, canned grape jelly, and enjoyed a homecooked breakfast with French press coffee.

On Saturday, I left Evelyn on the farm with my parents and brother.  Then I went to the mall and did some child-free shopping (and wound up buying half the superhero shirts in her size at Old Navy) just because I could.  Later that night, Cody and I went to his high school reunion.

After 5 minutes, we left his high school reunion.

We realized we have ducked out early (or wanted to with great intensity) of every major social event we've ever attended, with the single exception of our own wedding.  Whatever.  We had a nice dinner, some Starbucks, and spontaneously went to a movie.  Sure, the movie was Prometheus and it was terrible, but we had the freedom to star blankly at the selection before us and choose a movie based on how long we felt like waiting.  We weren't hurrying home and we hadn't planned a thing.  Plus, we had separate containers of snacks.  It was one of the best date nights we've had in a while.

Yesterday, after our baby was returned to us and we put her to sleep, we stayed up a little late to make some grape jelly.  I broke the sprayer nozzle on our sink, and nearly got a jar stuck in the drain, while Cody dropped no fewer that 3 things (loudly) and boiled over 2 pots.  It was a typical canning endeavor for us, I have to say.  Even after taking a break last year, it's nice to know we've still got it.  Or something.  By 10:30, we had 8 pints of perfectly sealed grape jelly and a mostly clean kitchen.  Evelyn slept through the entire thing, thanks to her grandparents and uncle wearing her out with one adventure after another.

And today?  Cody baked oatmeal and made French press coffee for breakfast.  We ate lunch as a family, and Cody and I enjoyed our grape jelly on PB&J sandwiches.  Cody's running errands and I'm scheming on a few things before I attempt to clean all the peanut butter off of Evelyn's high chair.  She's sleeping and we're doing things.

I don't know how much I'll be posting this week, but I'll try to keep throwing out the odd picture on the Creature tumblr so you know Evelyn's alive and growing.  This is only our second full day of vacation, and I'm already really excited about the fun we've already had and how much more we have to look forward to.  Oh, and I have to let you know that I'm really looking forward to more of this:

A standing girl on Friday.

No comments: