Monday, July 23, 2012

A womanifesto of my very own




The Militant Baker


I thought it would be fun to link up with The Militant Baker's Womanifesto link-up, so I did.  I thought it was cool to see how other women view themselves, and thought it would be a good idea to make myself consider how I think of myself.

So this is what I came up with:




I am Jen.

I am a reader.  I love learning.  I love knowledge.  I don't have to apologize or downplay that.  But I have to remind myself that it's fine to say "I don't know" and "I need help."

I am a wife.  I am a partner. I am so happy that we're in this together.

The most important "this" we have is raising our daughter.  A wondrous creature made me a mother and I'm so, so very glad.

I am Mommy.  I am the very best mom she'll ever have and that thrills and terrifies me.  I made her, and now I feed her and read to her and blow raspberries on her belly and I'll carry her on my hip until my jeans rub blisters on my skin so that she can see and touch everything because I want her to know the world is beautiful and there's so much to enjoy.

I am hilarious.  I want to make you laugh.

I get angry.  I am impatient.  I rant.

I am gentle.

I am doing what I can.  I don't look at this life, at this marriage with this child and the job behind a desk and the messy apartment and the little cliched hobbies like knitting and farmers markets, and feel embarrassed.  I feel blessed.  I feel lucky.  I feel incredulous that all this is mine.  I want to help those who have less.

I care about the family that made me, and the family I'm making for Evelyn.

I am not as young, or as dumb, as I look.

I don't have to cook or decorate or wear lipstick and heels because I just plain don't.

I am secure in my faith and my profession and in my appearance and how my life is right now. But please don't confuse my contentment with complacency.  I am growing and learning and striving for more.

I am myself.  And that's enough.

2 comments:

Jes said...

"don't confuse my contentment with complacency."

this whole post is so centered and thoughtful and... well, content.

Thanks for sharing:) I enjoyed snooping around your peaceful corner of the interweb.

Jen said...

Ha, thanks for stopping by! Sometimes it seems like being calm and confident is the most radical and assertive thing you can do.