Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sometimes I cook!

I'm going to talk to you about recipes.  No, really.

I don't cook a lot. I can.  I just don't.  I already clean, and I don't want to come home from work to cooking AND cleaning while Cody does....whatever it is that guys do when they're not cooking and cleaning and they don't have a garage in which they do manly things.  That's always been the deal in our marriage, and since Cody actually enjoys cooking, that's probably how we'll keep doing things.

But these aren't rules we set in stone.  Even though it would never occur to Cody to sweep the floor, he does a fairly good job of loading dishwasher.  And while I'll never be the person in this family to come home and exclaim, "Oh my gosh, I have been waiting all day to bake some bread.  I'm really excited about this!", I do sometimes volunteer to try out certain recipes or cook for certain events. I've noticed that I'm starting to volunteer more than I normally would in the past couple of months.  Even if we didn't take into account my occasional boiling of a sweet potato or an apple for baby food purposes, I've probably cooked more this month than I have in several years of this marriage.

But that's not exactly saying a lot.

I've made biscuits.  I've made oatmeal.  I make excellent sandwiches.  And I made Cody's Father's Day supper because I am amazing.

We had lamb in the freezer, so I decided this recipe would help me make a dent in the major tomato haul I brought in from the farmers market.  Tomatoes are so pretty and so plentiful (and, as a result, selling so cheaply) that I always forget I don't like eating them. So sad.  But even though something that looks like this:


is one of the most disgusting things I can think of, I went for it.  I'm so brave! I really dislike raw meat.  I was extra sad when I thought I didn't have enough meat for the kebabs and had to thaw and cut up a chicken breast.  I did like picking the mint leaves off our little plant for the seasoning, though!  Everything else was a little traumatizing.

I had to pan grill them because we are not a grilling family.
 The sad part?  I wasn't short on meat.

The little measuring cup of meat was for little pieces I didn't add spices to, for Evelyn. She wasn't a fan anyway.
 I also bought some multicolored fingerling potatoes from the corner store because we love fingerling potatoes and Cody got excited when he saw them.


I was really proud of myself when I bought them on Saturday night.  I felt less proud when I came home and realized I'd accidentally locked Cody and Evelyn out on the balcony and Cody had already stripped Evelyn out of her wet swimsuit and diaper.  At least they both have short memories.

Um.

Anyway, I also made my mom's recipe of salt and buttered potatoes.  That's when you boil one-inch chunks of potatoes until they're 'soft enough'.  Then you throw in maybe a third of a stick of butter (depending on the size of the serving.  One stick is too much for the two of us, but probably okay for my family) and some salt. I used coarse kosher salt because I'm fancy.  Okay, I know that's not a recipe. I am a very simple cook.  I like things that only have a few ingredients and a few tastes jumping out at me.  Sometimes I want a break from Cody's marinades and casseroles and I look for a good excuse to eat some plainer fare.

Cody made the bread. I didn't have time to make the biscuits because I was busy filling the apartment with smoke.  But the kebabs had a really authentic scorch to them!
Yes, I do realize I wrote a whole post about a basic meat-and-potatoes (literally!) meal like it was a big deal.  Be quiet.  One day I'll tell you about the green beans I made, or pass along the recipe we found for tomato and plum salad that's my new favorite thing.  Simpler foods just seem more summer appropriate, and if Cody's willing to relinquish some control and spend some extra time with Evelyn (even though he hates that), I'd love to make a few more meals here and there because I enjoy making things and cooking can satisfy a desire to create in a way that vacuuming just can't.

In general, though, I'm glad this is usually the extent of my kitchen work (outside of cleaning) and thought I'd let you know about the very special summer thing that happened over the weekend:


Behold, my first sweet tea of the season.

2 comments:

Laine said...

1. Is that a just meat kabob? That's the one Robert would want anyway. And,
2. Was it good? I'm intrigued by the mint on the kabobs. I already know the potatoes were good, because as long as they're cooked, you can't go wrong with those.

I'm very proud (and honestly, shocked) you touched raw meat.

Jen said...

Yup, just meat! I grilled it with some loose tomatoes and we ate it. I guess I should have mentioned that, yes, it was a lovely dinner! Ha! The mint wasn't on the kebabs, though--you just mixed with the other ingredients and stirred the meat in it. It wasn't too strong, but it wasn't too plain either.

The raw meat was disgusting and nasty and I sweated through it. I think one of the main reasons Cody said he'd take Evelyn out while I cooked was so she wouldn't be exposed to my, uh, words and deeds surrounding the handling of raw meat.