Monday, May 7, 2012

Pleasant plants

Growing things makes me so happy.

There's a little girl crawling and climbing all over the apartment, learning and eating and laughing and whining and clapping and dancing and growing.

We also have plants.  After 4 or 5 years of attempts that yielded varying degrees of success, our container gardening is going gloriously well this spring.. Let me introduce you to this year's plants.

L to R, top row: rosemary, marigolds, parsley. Middle row: bronze fennel, regular fennel. Bottom row: marigolds I labeled with sidewalk chalk because it's cute and fun.
Decorative lantern added to the flowers, by Evelyn.

Cody's Earth Box that's growing this year's green beans.
 
 

 Also on the balcony?

Surprise green beans.  I've since added more wildflower seeds.

 And morning glories!
The vines are already creeping up the hanger.  I want them to cover the whole balcony!
(I love morning glories.  I had them climbing up our porches in our old house in 2010.  I really missed them last year.)

Here are our front porch plants!  Most of them are in containers that can't drain, so it's good that they're tucked away from the rain.  Also, they're pretty and I want people to see them.  So far, no one's used them as ash trays.  Success!

More marigolds and morning glories in a bucket.

And maybe a bean plant.  Who knows?

Our one-bucket herb garden, featuring basil, mint, and dill.  We've used the basil twice!  If you squint, you can see the day lilies in a beach bucket that a neighbor gave us when she moved.

That's a sweet potato plant growing in the red container, and the yellow flowers (I've completely forgotten the name, sorry) are from the same moving neighbor.  She also gave us pansies and petunias.  The petunias are fine.  The pansies were annihilated by aphids, and now I've planted wildflower seeds in their old pot.

And since I'd be remiss if I didn't let you know how Evelyn is growing, here's a picture to let you know she's flourishing as well.


I don't know what we'll do if this little bunny starts eating beans off the vine.
 

No comments: