Friday, May 27, 2011

We went to Oklahoma!

Mom and I took Evelyn to meet her Oklahoma family on Wednesday and came home on Thursday. 

Our Oklahoma family is a group of friends and neighbors from church from when we lived in Miami.  Myrtle and EJ are my adopted grandparents.  They would babysit me on Friday nights.  They would take Laine and me to the park, or on walks, or to the library.  We've gone back for countless visits.  Mamaw and I have written letters to each other since I was 8.  Mamaw used to send us cards for every holiday, and thank-you notes for the thank-you notes we'd write her.  (That's why Laine has taken it upon herself to send Evelyn all kinds of mail.)

Evelyn traveled relatively well, considering she doesn't like traveling all that much.  The weather wasn't as stormy as we were afraid it would be--we drove straight into the wind and it was cloudy, but it wasn't so bad.  Mom and I had a great time catching up with people.  Evelyn loved everyone and they loved her.

We wanted to go up sooner, but things like storms and impromptu moves got in the way.  But this is my last week of maternity leave and we had to go.  We were so happy we did.  And today I found out that EA had a heart attack a few hours after we left.  He's in stable condition and he's going to be moved to Joplin soon.  I don't know if he'll be okay or not, but Shirley said she'd keep me updated.

And now I'm even more glad we went.


We stopped by the insurance agency to see Betty and Mike.  We caught up with them a little and gave Evelyn a break from the car because she was pitching a fit.

Then Evelyn met our grandparents.  It was as wonderful as I thought it would be.

They were enthralled with each other.


Shirley loved Evelyn all to pieces, but I don't think Mamaw ever gave her the chance to hold her.

Carl could only stay for a while, but we gave him big hugs and he was happy to meet Evelyn.


My two EJs.








Mamaw can still play in the floor like it's nothing.





We spent the night with Glen and Jolene. 

Mom looked through their vacation pictures while Jolene held Evelyn and told us about their church's search for a preacher.

This is Glen's bobcat.  I think I should start taking lots of pictures of Evelyn next to taxidermied animals.
EA was sitting up the next day.  The three of them had a wonderful time.


Oh my baby, you are so loved.




Here we are.



We were so happy to be in Miami.

This is where I used to live.  I don't really remember it.  But it was fun to see where Mom, Dad, Laine, and I lived.
Evelyn was a much better traveler the next day.  She really enjoys this elephant.

The trip was a big deal for Mom's car as well!  Dad brought my car to me in the Target parking lot, and this is what the odometer looked like as we pulled into our parking space.

Evelyn was really happy for her.

We're adventurous girls.

Believe it or not, this was our only Starbucks break of the trip.  Dad needed some time with Evelyn, and she needed some time out of the car.

text

1 comment:

Terri said...

Jennifer,
Been waiting to read your OK blogging trip post! Thanks so much for making time for Mamaw and Papaw. That meant a lot to Mamaw and Papaw too but Mamaw can remember better than Papaw as I am sure you could tell. I love the photos, they are well PRICELESS I know to you, but to me also. Thanks again!!
Terri