Monday, March 7, 2011

Update: 39 weeks

I am 39 weeks pregnant.

I am starting maternity leave tomorrow.

My belly is practically an entity all its own.

And my dad is calling me every day.

Friends and family get worried if they call and I don't pick up.  Or if they call and I have to hang up abruptly.  Or if I call or text them first.

Basically, I freak people out a lot these days.  I'm apparently not allowed to use stairs unsupervised and my boss usually asks if I'm able to walk to my car at the end of the day.

I'm very tired, very concerned about how much longer my hips will last, and I think it's all starting to take a toll because Cody will occasionally look over at me and say "I wish I could do something to help."

The best (ha) part is that I'm very, very, very busy with work and very, very, very close to my due date.  And the fact of the matter is that Cody is doing a lot to help.  On top of his usual bill-paying, meal-cooking, mail....mailing responsibilities, he's now running errands for everything because I'm either too tired or too busy to do so right now.  And sometimes washing dishes (my thing).  Or helping with laundry (my thing).  Or doing anything else I'll ask him to do because he can do it twice as quickly and I'm getting winded or tired or achy (or, at the end of the day, all three) just thinking about putting a book on a shelf.

He takes me on ice cream dates or drops off my prom dress at the cleaners and sets up Internet at our house.  He sleeps wrapped up in quilts and flannel pajamas so I can have the fan running while I (wearing his t-shirts and boxers) sprawl over more than half of our bed with the sheets kicked off.

A lot of beautiful people have done a lot of wonderful things for me during this pregnancy, and I'm grateful for all of it.  But I thought I'd go ahead and say some nice things about how nice Cody is before this blog turns into The Baby Show in every post.

My husband is great.






He makes me love marriage more than I ever thought I would, and I still can't believe he makes me laugh more now than he did when we dated.  We are having so much fun, and his love and admiration means the world to me.  Since I got pregnant, he's attempted to cater to my every whim/need/craving/mood swing.  He's gone to every doctor's appointment and remembers my blood pressure reading and weight every time.  He reads the same baby books I do.  He cheers me on through every change because he thinks I can do anything. He also thinks pregnant me is very, very attractive and that makes me so happy.  It's impossible to find a better life partner than Cody.  

He drove me to work this morning, and yesterday.  Because of the marathon yesterday, he almost couldn't get back to our house and thought he was going to have to pay to park somewhere and then walk home in his pajamas (until a cop helped him out).  And then he got yelled at by another cop trying to pick me up because he had to get through a barricade to pick me up after the police officer yelled at him that no one was working in my building.  I'm not really sure how he got to me, but I'm glad he did.

I can't wait for him to be a dad because I know he's going to be really good at it.

Speaking of that being a parent business, I should probably say something about the baby since this is her 39 week post!

Uh.....well, she's fine.  She's growing bigger and stronger every day.  I just watch her move and kick and do some kind of movements every day.  My belly seems to constantly move because she might be trying to crawl out.  I think she gets the hiccups at least 3 times a day.  Other than that, there's not a lot to say about her other than she's not here yet and she's very strong.  Even BabyCenter could only offer up this: "Your baby's waiting to greet the world! He continues to build a layer of fat to help control his body temperature after birth, but it's likely he already measures about 20 inches and weighs a bit over 7 pounds, a mini watermelon. (Boys tend to be slightly heavier than girls.) The outer layers of his skin are sloughing off as new skin forms underneath." (Source.)

Great, she's been here so long she's growing new skin.  I'm going to grow her forever.  I guess homeschooling is our only option.  At least we don't have to worry about who's going to teach her to ride a bike.  I hate bikes.

I was so confident that she'd stay in my belly this weekend that I went to a 1980s prom birthday party on Saturday night.  I'd originally feared that dressing up like this would be a sure-fire labor starter because who wants to show up at the hospital looking like this?

Never doubt my commitment to a theme party.  Never.

But since my doctor thought I'd go the distance, I went for it and celebrated Brook's birthday in style.

And yes, Cody is in fact checking out the blush I applied under my cheeks.  Or something.  And yes, his collar is popped.  And his jeans aren't acid-washed.  They're just kind of old and faded, and that worked out nicely.

PS: Big thanks to my dear friend Jessi for finding this amazing dress for me in her thrift store treasure hunts!  I could be an honorary member of The Judds because of your discerning eye!

PPS: Happy birthday today, Ms. Brooklynn!  Soon I'll have access to Facebook once again and then I can put up all the pictures from your glorious night so the Internet can see everyone's amazing outfits and liberal use of hair products!  (You know, if that's okay.)

And these are my official pictures for 39 weeks.



And this has been my 39 week post!

2 comments:

arkansaseden said...

I can't believe you're 39 weeks! Really, I can't, and that's strange, considering that I've followed your blog each step of the way. I apparently just now realized you're close. Wow, Eden.

I have cloth diapers for you! Want to meet up for coffee sometime soon and I can pass them off to you?

Jen said...

Sometimes it surprises me, too! This is weird business. I think I have enough newborn disposables for a second baby, but I'd still like to meet up and actually get a demonstration just on how you fold cloth diapers! I'm mystified....