Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Typo Tuesday: Typos Look Better as Screencaps

As many of you may already know, the Little Rock Marathon is taking place this weekend and will be wreaking havoc on the schedules and errand-running plans of many citizens in the downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock areas.  Streets and bridges are typically closed off by Saturday evening and traffic is rerouted.  Cody and I went to a church Sunday where part of the announcements included special instructions for parking, and people were encouraged to try to leave for church earlier than they normally would.  

Most people have a good attitude about it.  Marathons are really cool, and it's fun to cheer for people doing something I'd never attempt.  That church I just mentioned even has an early service for runners, and encourages volunteers to cheer and hand out orange slices to people in the race!  I thought it sounded like a fun way to deal with would otherwise be an inconvenience.

And the organizers give the non-participant people plenty of advance notice.  They post the routes on their website (so you know whether you'll be able to leave your house this Sunday), and try to arm runners with important information.

"Try" is the operative word this time.

You see, on the page containing information for the events for the weekend and the race itself, there was a slight problem.  And I tried to screencap the problem for you, but it was just too small and I'm bad at this sort of thing.  So here is the error:

NO ANIMALS, ROLLERBLADES, SKATES, SCOOTERS, BICYCLES, BABY STROLLERS, OR BABBY JOGGERS ARE PERMITTED ON THE RACE COURSE.
(Source.  You'll find it at the bottom of the page, right under the list of race day temperatures for previous years.)

"Babby joggers."

I know the real problem is that the word "baby" is misspelled when all they were trying to do was tell you that you can't slap your child into a jogging stroller and run a marathon.  Or at least I think that's what they're trying to convey.

Because I have an overactive and very literal imagination, I sometimes like to pretend that I can't google things, and go ahead and draw my own conclusions about what things like this mean.

In this case, I'm picturing infants running marathons. 

While I think the running gear would be adorable (baby sweat bands! Bibs designed to reduce air drag!  You know, the bibs babies wear--not race number bibs), I just don't think babies should be running races.  Not even 5Ks.  Call me old fashioned, but I just don't think it's a good idea.  Most of the baby shoes I've seen are designed with style over substance, resulting in some pretty substandard arch support.  Also, babies have short legs and it would take them forever to complete the course.  Plus, some babies are terrible at running (to say nothing of the ones who can't even crawl.  They should just stay out of everyone's way.  People use their times from this race to qualify for serious, competitive marathons!).  And then some babies are great at running, but they don't know how to stop.  

Plus, they'd probably all just cry every time someone blasted an air horn. 

All in all, it's hard to mock the race organizers for their unusual typo (this is not a difficult word) when they were really just trying to protect us from baby joggers.  I mean, joggers have no place in a marathon anyway.  This is a race!

PS: This week's Typo Tuesday was brought to you by Laine and Dennese!  Laine emailed me about this unfortunate misspelling after her friend and co-worker, Dennese, told her about it and said it was worthy of mockery a post.  Thanks, guys!

3 comments:

Erin said...

What does it mean when I saw a typo today and thought of you (before reading today's blog)? It was on the office's trash service bill: "No type 4 materials aloud." Thing is...it has said that for a good year now, no one has ever corrected it...sad to be so dense.

Alana said...

Ha! Loved this! I keep repeating "babby joggers" and it sounds so wrong. I like your new picture heading!

Jen said...

Erin: It probably means I am way too critical of things. But send me a picture of that if you want!

Alana: It sounds wrong, it looks really wrong in my head, and it seems kind of violent and British. (Maybe that's just me.) I thought you might enjoy that banner! Since Easter doesn't come until the end of April, I've decided that the baby is the theme for March.