Monday, February 28, 2011

Update: 38 weeks

Thirty.Eight.Weeks.

I am past full term!

The past week has been eventful.  We've been getting the house ready, talking more about names, and it now takes me about 10 minutes to walk across a room.

Also, my parents call or text every day just in case I thought I could have a baby without letting them know.
Still nothing, though.  I'm just pregnant. 

Very, very pregnant.

When I went to the doctor last week, she jiggled my belly like last time and said she thought the baby was around 6ish pounds and probably wouldn't weigh much more than 6.5 at birth--at the very most.  Since I had only gained half a pound during the week, I was a little nervous about starving this pitiable runt of a baby.  I really did freak out a bit.  But then I reminded myself that Cody had probably given her his tiny twin genes and at least she already weighs more than he did at birth.

(Fine, Cody was around 5.5 pounds when he was born and that's awesome for a twin.  Yes, Casey was a full pound heavier and taking all the oxygen but Cody's turned out fine.  Just fine.)

Apparently, she's just staying a bit small.  She's actually average, but just seems small compared to the babies I'm used to people in my family having.  She's even still little enough to move around constantly, so I don't have to worry about how she's doing.  Movement counts are unnecessary and I can tell she's just rocking at life.

This is what I read about the baby this week:
Your baby has really plumped up. She weighs about 6.8 pounds and she's over 19 1/2 inches long (like a leek). She has a firm grasp, which you'll soon be able to test when you hold her hand for the first time! Her organs have matured and are ready for life outside the womb.
Wondering what color your baby's eyes will be? You may not be able to tell right away. If she's born with brown eyes, they'll likely stay brown. If she's born with steel gray or dark blue eyes, they may stay gray or blue or turn green, hazel, or brown by the time she's 9 months old. That's because a child's irises (the colored part of the eye) may gain more pigment in the months after she's born, but they usually won't get "lighter" or more blue. (Green, hazel, and brown eyes have more pigment than gray or blue eyes.) (Source.)

I've assumed the baby will look like me ever since I found out she's a girl.  Cody is a very good-looking man, but I just don't know how well his features would translate on a girl.  Either way, we were adorable children.  And we both had blue eyes.  And so does everyone else in our immediate families, except for Laine.  Her eyes are green, but they were blue for the first few years.

As strong as genes can be (Cody and his brothers are basically clones of their dad), I still like to think she'll look like me.  I don't know why I think I'll be so good at making her look like me.

I may have Dad's legs and knuckles, but I've completely stolen Mom's face!  Look at our matching glasses and everything!
Or maybe I do.

That picture is from last week.

This is what I look like now.

I only gain weight in my face now.


I am clearly great with child.  I went to the Flower and Garden Show with Mom and Dad this Saturday, and spent most of time telling total strangers my due date because they kept asking me "How much longer?"  Fortunately, I was not touched.  I ambled all over the place and bought some seeds (because I think I'll have loads of time to tend to plants in my future) and the baby bounced all around my belly.  She was probably just excited about the show.  I didn't think to take pictures of us at the show, which is a shame.  My outfit contained no maternity clothes.  But Mom said the busy pattern of the dress meant she couldn't see the baby moving (I was convinced you could see me having my own Tremors reenactment).  Frankly, I just liked the outfit because I had cleavage.

Then I did the same thing on Sunday.  Why I felt the need to have cleavage in church, a yarn store, Cody's grandma's birthday party, or a Kroger, I don't know.  But whatever.  I like looking this way.

Things are good. I've turned in my maternity leave slips and it's been approved.  Her little clothes are folded and set aside in our room.  I've written nearly all of my thank-you notes.  I'm tired, cranky, and sore.  I would also like to meet my baby in a little while.  

But all we have left to do is wait and enjoy the last few days of this ridiculous time.

Here is a picture to convince you of how ridiculous things are right now:

This is the view from Dad's truck.  You are looking at Mom's chicken stool.  We sit on it to play games on the coffee table, stand on it to reach things, or use it to block doorways (Mo is easily confused).

Saturday, Dad decided to use it to keep me from falling out of the truck.  Every single time I got out of the truck (and got back in), Dad would make me wait until he could jump out of the truck and put the stool down so that I could step down safely.  He did this to Mom, too, until she made him stop.

Did I mention I got to ride in the front, too?  I did.  It was awesome.  It was also ridiculous, but mostly awesome.

That's how things are these days.  People call and text to see if there's a baby.  People ask me how much longer, or if I could sit down because I make them nervous.  People quiz the families on their labor-hospital-waiting plans as if we didn't know our little girl is showing up any day now.

Ridiculous and awesome.

But mostly awesome.

3 comments:

Laine said...

1. My dress is such a good maternity dress! I'm glad I could contribute to your wardrobe.

2. The stool: HAHAHAH! How did you not already tell me this!? Easily one of THE most ridiculous/hilarious things I've ever seen!

3. Yes, mostly awesome. I'm excited, and my bags are packed!

S Bibles said...

I'm one of those texters!! I am ready for Baby Bennett (but not as much as you of course!:)

Amber said...

Liam was 7 lbs. 5 oz. Small for most babies, I guess, but honestly I'm glad he wasn't any bigger. I think babies kind of know the optimal exit size most of the time.