Monday, February 21, 2011

Update: 37 weeks

37 weeks!

We are now full-term.  I have no idea what happens next.

Except this: "Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier.)

Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz." (Source.)

Cody tried to cook chard once.  It didn't go well.

I really want this baby to have hair.

I really don't want a C-section.

I really need to get some of those sweet little newborn bows that attach with velcro.  They are precious.  My sisters and I all wore them as newborns.  Levi probably could have, since he had to get his first haircut at 6 weeks--it was starting to feather like a '70s news anchor!  Cody and his brothers were all born with hair, too.

Sometimes I just go over stuff like this in my head to reassure myself that she'll have hair.

I went to a La Leche meeting last week.  Big shock, there were a lot of babies there.  I'm apparently a little more prepared for nursing than I thought, just based on what I've read and conversations I've been around.  So that's cool.  Or maybe I'm just deluding myself because looking at all of those babies made me just a little (more) impatient (than I already was) to get my own baby.

Yet another thing that makes me excited about my baby getting here: getting more stuff for the baby. I had my work shower last week!  It was lovely.

The cake! (Delicious.)

There were flowers!  So spring-ish.

The plates!

The decor!

Yes, there were even balloons.  I'm apparently a big deal around here.

I got to take these rubber duckies home, by the way.  Jealous?

The friend taking my picture made me laugh.  She takes a ridiculous amount of pictures.

And now the balloons are tied to my office door handle and are a friendly throughout the work day that I'm having a girl.

So now I'm through with showers!  Getting stuff is amazing, but overwhelming. (As is the thought of writing more thank-you notes.  Oh my goodness, I owe a lot of people a lot of thanks.)  On the plus side, I now have plenty of blankets and socks and onesies and diapers.  Hooray!  I'm even dividing up blankets into piles to keep at family members' houses.  

Speaking of family, mine came in this weekend for a work day.  I decided last week that I need to get everything in order by March.  I keep having a feeling that the baby will get here before her due date (which is why I packed our hospital bags a full month before my due date.  Also, I was snowed in and bored).  And even if she doesn't, it will be nice to have things in order for whenever she does show up.  So I made a list and showed it to Cody.  

Then I told Laine about the list and she said she would help me.  Then she told Sara and Sara wanted to have a sister party.  Then I told Mom that I needed the crib and that Laine and I would be making repairs to the kitchen sink and she said she and Dad and Levi would come in on Saturday as well, and bring Grandmother because she was in town.

Family Work Day 2011 was a lot of fun and a huge success!  After my family blew into town and did crazy things to my house, Cody and I were able to cross half of the things off my list.

This is the air filter I had for 20 years.  It died and we finally threw it away.

Goodbye, friend.  Thanks for keeping my air clean and for all that white noise.

Also, just the six of us and Grandmother went to McAllister's.  So. Much. Fun.

I'm a little embarrassed for my house to be seen this way, but you have to know what all they were able to do.  They did a lot!  We temporarily moved things into the dining room so Laine could mop the bedroom and hallway.

Mom and Sara are taking a break from sorting my presents into manageable piles.  Sara texts Chad after she rearranged my bedroom.

Levi spent the day reading Cody's magazines and comics, or doing heavy lifting.

Cody was gone for most of the day with work and another project, but I promise he wasn't as traumatized by the family invasion as he looks in this picture.  I mean, I did tell him they were all coming.  On, like, Friday....


Mom wanted to take pictures of the 4 of us all sweaty.  I told Dad to zoom in.

Then I got this.  I still wanted my belly to show!  Great, now I just look chubby.

At least we're all cute.  Even when Levi's head is cut off.  It's just what he gets for being taller than everyone else.  I should mention that our duplex neighbor walked out of her side of the house while this was going on.  I think she was laughing at us.

My lovely parents.


Dad thinks the baby will weigh 6lb, 12 oz at birth.  Mom is guessing at least 7 and a half.

This is Mom telling me I'll probably need a C-section.

And this is just cute.

Did I mention that Mom planted Cody some herbs in our empty pots and Dad drilled screws into our porch so we could have a little hanging garden?  They did.  Our porch is lovely now.

Laine took a picture of me being one of those stylish pregnant bloggers.  Okay, it just a candid. 

List of things accomplished:
  • a rearranged bedroom (that Cody and I rearranged partially on Sunday, and will switch around some stuff again...probably tonight)
  • clean baseboards
  • mopped wood floors in all but one room of the house (and Cody took care of it yesterday, along with the kitchen and bathroom)
  • a repaired sink faucet (that's still leaking.....we're cursed*)
  • a non-leaking water heater
  • something else (it gets its own post)
  • there is a cradle in the bedroom!  It has no mattress or stand and is currently holding lots of baby things, but it is in our bedroom and we have a place for it!
  • the last of my shower gifts are sorted into piles: return, give away, use, and keep at Mom and Dad's house until the baby's big enough to use them
  • baby things were taken out of their packages and I didn't have to do it.  I hate cutting all those tags, you have no idea...
  • fabric has been sent back home with Laine so that Leah can make bumper pads for the cradle (and a dress for the baby)
  • Mom and Dad, and Sara now have blankets and toys for their houses.  I'm not sure why I didn't send Laine home with something.  I'll make her a pile when I make one for Dicy.
  • my swing is now assembled and Levi has given me multiple demonstrations on how to use and store it
  • the car seat is sitting in our living room, waiting to be installed and used
Simple fact: my family is about a million times cooler than yours.  I'm sorry if that harsh fact is a little .... harsh, but that's just how things work.  Both my sisters joked that they don't even clean their own houses like this--and I know they don't.  They cleaned the way I would clean, if I could right now.  For nearly an entire day, I just pointed at things that needed to be take care of and then they magically were.  I barely bent, squatted, or lifted the entire day.  I barely dusted, and I certainly didn't scrub.  I didn't even have to take out the trash.  I'm pretty sure I could have requested a fresh coat of paint ahead of time and Mom and Dad would have been going over swatches and calculating dry times.  It was an awesome and fun and funny (of course) day.  Being taken out to eat twice certainly didn't hurt either.  The three of us are so happy and grateful and just that much closer to having a home ready for a slightly bigger family.

I can't wait.


And by the way, this is the 37 week picture.  I'm sweaty and tired and a little gross, but these things still need to be documented.

*If you ever have an older home and decide to put in a garbage disposal under the kitchen sink, thus disrupting the pipes' connection to the wall, you will disrupt everything about the sink and cause leaks in the faucet and in the pipes themselves and make home repairs virtually impossible.  Come to think of it, professional repairs will be alarmingly difficult too.  And not cheap.  SO DON'T DO IT.  But thanks, landlord, for not only meddling inappropriately with something that a house like this was never meant to have but for also doing it yourself in spite of having no handy repair skills!

1 comment:

Laine said...

Whoo hoo! Work days! I mopped so vigoriously, I was sweaty, whew! Then, Sunday, I raked leaves at my house. Then, Monday, I was sore...go figure.