Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Update: 36 weeks




(Sorry for the delay--yesterday was incredibly busy.  So here is your baby post for the week!)

36 weeks!  This baby has been freeloading around in my belly forever.  We're getting so close, I can barely stand it.

I've started going to the doctor every week now, and I have to say I really like sneaking out of work early.  At last week's visit, she did this weird thing where she grabbed my belly (imagine someone kneading bread while simultaneously judging produce) and said she thought the baby was around 5.5 or 6 pounds and that she'd probably weigh over 7 pounds at birth.  I wasn't too surprised since I weighed 7 lbs and 12 oz at three weeks early (and as the smallest of my mom's babies).  My weight and blood pressure are fine and the baby's heartbeat is as strong as ever.

Another fun fact: the baby appears to be head-down already!  So helpful.  None of this lame breach business for my little girl!  She's so cool.

She's also so active--still!  My extra-wide rib cage is really coming in handy these days.

It's hard to sleep.  Blah blah blah.  I bore myself saying it, but it's true.  During last week's snow days, I took a nap both afternoons and loved it.  And I took one on Saturday afternoon.  And while watching TV last night.

This is what I read about the baby's super growing powers this week:  "Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.
At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely she's in a head-down position. But if she isn't, your practitioner may suggest scheduling an "external cephalic version," which is a fancy way of saying she'll try to coax your baby into a head-down position by manipulating her from the outside of your belly."  (Source.)

Here's what I took away from all that.  The baby's digesting herself (gross!), the words "bowel movement" have now appeared on my blog, she's ahead of the game by being head-down because she's so great, and we are practically full-term.

Full term.  I love how complete it sounds.  Like "in the fullness of time." (I've always liked that phrase.)  Like everything about this situation--the families, the timing, the baby--is perfect.

Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  Last year, over Valentine's Day weekend (I think that's a real thing), Cody and I were talking and I said "This is the year we need to try to have a baby.  I'm turning 28, we're really happy, we're making okay money, and it just seems like time."  Cody, being the good sport that he is, nodded and said "Okay, sounds good."

I promise you that wasn't our only discussion on the matter.  We've talked about family things since way back when we were dating and in college and nowhere near the baby-having stage of life.   

And now we're nearly full circle.

We're nearly full-term.

For the record, Mom and Laine and the security guard at work think I won't make it past 38 weeks.  I think I'll go until Week 39.  People at work just eye me cautiously and plead with me to not deliver in the office.  (Not a chance.  I am a professional adult....who just so happens to skip out of work for any reason imaginable these days.)  Cody's grandma wants me to have the baby on her birthday--February 28th. A co-worker informed me this morning that there are things I can do to "get things started."

Whenever it happens, it's going to be just right.

And according to yesterday's appointment, it's going to be just a little while longer.  
I'm fine with that.  I'd like to meet our little girl, but I want her finish up her business and I think I can put up with a few more weeks of this. 

Cody and I went out for a late lunch on Sunday afternoon as our Valentine's Day date (the last one for just the two of us!) and I had him take my 36 weeks picture.



I looked at it in the camera and immediately yelped "I'm huge!" He just shrugged and said "Yeah.  I thought you knew."  I didn't.  I guess it's different to see yourself in a picture than to look in the mirror.  Then I hugged him while I was standing and he was sitting and he put his face against my belly and told me he could hear both of our heartbeats.  

Awesome.

I could put up with a few more weeks of this indeed.

3 comments:

Alana said...

Ahhhh! I can't believe she is almost here! Thank you for continuing to share your journey, friend!

Laine said...

I like this post! Very exciting! I am now counting down to the blessed event! heh...

Sarah Bibles said...

i love this picture of the two of you!! You look like the cutest pregnant girl ever. your belly (i mean, she), is so perfect and round and big just like a pregnant belly should be. she's going to be perfect!!!