Monday, February 7, 2011

Update: 35 weeks


Bear witness to my illness face!  Winter is awesome.

I've been pregnant for 35 weeks!

Here's what happened in Week 34:
  • I got 2 rides either to my car, or to work entirely, because of snow.  Pregnant women are not allowed to walk long distances in the snow.
  • We made the design for the baby's quilt.
  • I wrote (and mailed) most of my thank-you notes.
  • I outgrew my wedding ring.
  • I either came down with sinus problems as the result of rapidly changing pressure fronts and temperatures, or the cold that half of my office likes to bring into work.  Bad news: NyQuil is not on my list of approved medications.  Good news: I don't have a fever.  Best news: I know I don't have a fever because I used the baby's ear thermometer and it really did read my temperature in just a couple of seconds.  It's pretty fancy!
  • I keep having dreams that I'm going into labor, but put off going to the hospital or calling family members because I'm just too tired or distracted and then I forget to have a baby.  I realize how dumb the dreams are even while I'm dreaming them.  They still make me wake up a little paranoid, though.
  • I finished making granny squares for the baby's afghan and made a design.  Now I'm nearly halfway done crocheting everything together!
I had a half a snow day on Friday, 130 squares, and Season 3 of Gilmore Girls on DVD.

The design!  It looks girly and cheerful.  And reminds me of Skittles.....

My progress as of Sunday afternoon.  I've done a little bit more since then.

And how is the baby?  I'm so glad you asked.  I swear she's an eavesdropper.  She'll make all kinds of movements if everything's quiet, or if I'm sitting in a meeting or just talking about my day with Cody.  But the minute she hears lots of voices she freezes up like she doesn't want to get caught hanging on to every word.  Not to project too very much on the poor kid, but things like this make me realize she definitely has some of my DNA.

From a more scientific standpoint, here are some other things the baby's up to right now: "Your baby doesn't have much room to maneuver now that he's over 18 inches long and tips the scales at 5 1/4 pounds (pick up a honeydew melon). Because it's so snug in your womb, he isn't likely to be doing somersaults anymore, but the number of times he kicks should remain about the same. His kidneys are fully developed now, and his liver can process some waste products. Most of his basic physical development is now complete — he'll spend the next few weeks putting on weight." (Source.)

I'm not sure about all that.  Her movements don't seem too limited just yet, even though I'm pretty sure she's fatter than just a little over 5 pounds.  She's active.  I had to confess to the nurse practitioner at the clinic last week that I'm still not counting her movements every hour because however many movements she's making.....it's more than 10 an hour.  Promise.  She told me I'll need to pay closer attention as I get farther along.  For now, though, it seems like the little girl still has plenty of room.  Lots of movements and jabs and weird little rollover movements that make me think of an armadillo's defense posture.  It's almost cute now that's she doing it far, far away from my belly button.

In 5 weeks (give or take) we'll meet our little melon.  We can't wait.

3 comments:

Laine said...

I like how you can see her toy box, with a toy sticking out, and her Moses basket full of blankets in the background of the afghan picture. She's already made quite an imprint on your house, I like it!

Alana said...

The afghan is beautiful, Jen!

Teca said...

Please don't forget to have your baby! Don't go to the hospital forgetting the reason why you are there! LOL!!!