Monday, January 24, 2011

Update: 33 weeks

33 weeks.  Whee....  This is really my face after my cup of coffee.

I have been pregnant for 33 weeks.

That is a really long time.

I tried to do some math on how many times a night I get up to go to the bathroom or to find a more comfortable position, multiplied by all the nights I've been pregnant, but then I stopped because I'm terrible at math and I don't want to depress myself.  So here I sit, with my fatigue headache and my puffy face, enjoying the fact that my 33 week old passenger is either content to be still or sleeping.  Either way, my ribs are safe for now.

I told Cody this weekend that my ribcage would get bigger during this adventure because growing babies need lots of room and in order to get it, they expand your ribs.

He was a good sport and said he thought it was cool.

Cody's a pretty good sport in general.  My new favorite activity is to clumsily drop something on the floor, sigh heavily, and stare at him pitifully until he picks it up for me.  He also has to carry my purse.  And make some kind of smooth recovery when I ask him questions like "How long has my belly been purpleish?"  (The skin on my belly looks like it's working really hard right now.  Probably because it is.) while he's just trying to take a shower.

In case you're wondering, about 2 weeks and he thinks I'm really beautiful like this.  I don't know how long I'll keep buying that line, but it will probably be for as long as he keeps saying it.


We're both nesting a bit more these days.  We find ourselves having discussions about baby detergents and car seat safety.  Yesterday we had to buy the baby a toy box.  It's a multicolored basket Cody saw over the weekend and really, really, really wanted to buy for the baby.  Since Cody very rarely wants to really, really, really buy something, I went for it.  Plus, it was cute.  And will be a nice place to hold things.  I'm reading a book about nursing and he's reading a book about pregnancy and birth.  We're making plans and hashing out ideas and enjoying these last few weeks of 'just the two of us' time while growing increasingly excited about the day when our daughter is out in the world.

I think I may be a little more excited about that than Cody, but that's probably just because Cody can still bend over without feeling like he just killed his lungs.  Also, Cody did not have to promise two separate supervisors that he would not walk to his car during last week's little snow/ice/slush flurry.  Nor did he have to assure a co-worker that he can still drive with a belly even during inclement weather (I am not kidding). 


While I become more and more of an invalid, the baby is fleshing out into a complete-looking little person.  This is what I read about the baby this week: "This week your baby weighs a little over 4 pounds (heft a pineapple) and has passed the 17-inch mark. He's rapidly losing that wrinkled, alien look and his skeleton is hardening. The bones in his skull aren't fused together, which allows them to move and slightly overlap, thus making it easier for him to fit through the birth canal. (The pressure on the head during birth is so intense that many babies are born with a conehead-like appearance.) These bones don't entirely fuse until early adulthood, so they can grow as his brain and other tissue expands during infancy and childhood." (Source.)

Aw, she's getting fat! 

I'm trying to keep from dwelling too much on that soft skull business.  I know it's necessary, but I'm just praying she has a full head of hair so that Cody can't see her soft spot.  He really has an intense dislike for soft spots.  Maybe he'll be so distracted with her fingers and toes that he won't notice.  I'm kind of hoping that works for me as well.

I'm sure she'll be cute and lovely regardless.  

We can't wait.

2 comments:

Alana said...

Ahhhhh!!!! She's sooo close to being here! I am so excited!!! I am also excited to see you this weekend and celebrate you and your baby girl!

Amber said...

I've heard more than one man comment that there was nothing more beautiful than a pregnant lady. It was not chauvinistic in any way. It was said with true appreciation. I suspect that it's a biological thing that God installed in order to keep peace at home. But they are sincere nonetheless.