Monday, January 10, 2011

Update: 31 weeks

31 weeks!


It's the baby's first snow day!  I think she's really pumped because she's been bouncing off of my ribs for the past couple of hours.  Either that, or she's protesting the fact that we're at work instead of bumming around at home in pajamas and enjoying yarn crafts while watching TV on DVD.

I understand her frustrations.  At least I had a restful weekend.  I don't remember much of Saturday other than talking to my mom and Ateca on the phone, and shopping, and arranging my yarn for inventory purposes.
I took a picture of this with my phone and texted it to Cody.  His response? "Please tell me that was on sale."

And then yesterday I didn't leave home.  I tidied the house, talked to Mamaw on the phone, and was supremely lazy.  I would have napped, but somebody makes it hard to breathe while laying down on the couch now.  And then I tried to roll over in bed last night and.....kind of couldn't.  Yes, I beached myself in my own bed for a second.  Yes, Cody was there to witness it.  It was not at all sad for me to end a nice little at-home day trapped under my own deformed weight.

Moving on...

This is what I read about the baby this week: "This week, your baby measures over 16 inches long. He weighs about 3.3 pounds (try carrying four navel oranges) and is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out as needed fat accumulates underneath his skin. He's probably moving a lot, too, so you may have trouble sleeping because your baby's kicks and somersaults keep you up. Take comfort: All this moving is a sign that your baby is active and healthy." (Source.)

Aw!  I'm impressed with the idea of that head-turning business.  She'll need that skill later on, I'm sure.  I'm already so in love with the idea of hanging out with this chubby little tennis fan.  She's going to be fascinating.

I went to the doctor last week, because that's what I do every two weeks now.  My blood pressure is good.  My weight gain is on track, although Cody remains unimpressed.  And the baby's heart rate is somewhere around 130 beats per minute.  Both the nurse and the doctor asked about the baby's movements, and the doctor was able to pick up movements with the doppler wand she used to listen to the baby's heartbeat.  My belly is growing right on schedule and the baby's activity levels are lovely.  So basically, we're both still really awesome.

After the doctor's appointment I ran to Target to pick up some household items and peeked through the maternity section on the off chance that they had something I wouldn't hate and discovered a pair of Size 4 black maternity dress pants!  That didn't look like sweat pants!  Or taper too much at the ankle!  Or look like something I would have worn in 1997 with a wallet chain and Doc Martens!

Not that I have ever owned or worn a wallet chain.  I just want to be clear on that point.

Anyway, I now have 2 pairs of maternity work pants that are coming in handy for colder weather.  They're both hemmed and in frequent rotation.  Hooray for these not entirely unflattering professional wardrobe savers.

Incidentally, I'm wearing the biggest, poofiest-looking jumper I have right now, but there's no need for you to see that.  And in case you were concerned about how I made it in through this snow, rest assured that Cody brought me to work and dropped me off right in front of our main entrance.  And he scraped the car.  And he held my hand while we walked down the three steps of our porch because they were a little icy.

Cody, scraping my car.
Baby's first inclement weather work day and snowy car ride!

Cody's intense driving face.
 So now I'm at work and working on important things in peace and quiet, aside from the little distractions created from the baby moving enough to move me.  She jostles me!  It's ridiculous, but I'm telling you she's strong enough to do it.

As always, I'm enthralled.

I'm sure you are too.

No comments: