Monday, January 3, 2011

Update: 30 weeks


This is a men's medium shirt from Old Navy.  It fits in the belly and the shoulders!  Wait, what?

30 whole weeks.

Can you believe it?

Only 10 more weeks to go!

I like the sound of that--10 weeks is not quite far enough away to feel like I'll never get a baby, but it doesn't seem too very soon either.  I'm so afraid this baby will catch us by surprise, especially since she ate my brain.

I. remember. nothing.

This is difficult.  I'm used to remembering things, to being on top of things, for being prepared.

Now I don't have a clue.  I not only can't remember if I talked about this in my last blog post, I didn't even think to check last week's post for content when I read my own blog to see how far along I am.  But apparently last was 29 weeks, which means I'm now at 30 weeks, and I can take comfort in the fact that I can straggle along through somehow.

I guess now would be a good time to throw it out there that I'm not doing resolutions this year.  I have a lot of things I need to do in 2011 and I don't think seeing them in list form is going to feel very good this time.

I don't feel like starting the year out with high hopes and ridiculous expectations only to fall flat--especially when I'm planning to do big, important things.
So.

The goal for 2011: Do what needs to be done.

Do I need to have a baby? Yes, so I'll do that.

Do I need to learn how to take care of that baby?  Yes, so we'll figure that out as well.

Are there about a million other details involved in those two needs?  Yes, and we're working on most of them.  We're making plans and checking things off of lists and smiling while other people offer us advice because some of it has been good so far.  We're putting money in savings.  We're hanging on to gift cards.  We even took down the Christmas tree this year.  (Don't worry, that will get its own post later.)

I promise things aren't as slap-dash and piece-meal as they sound.  I'm just not going to stress myself out by making lists that I'll lose with all of these little goals I copied off of websites and books.

I have books (that I haven't finished).

I have a planner (which at least has people's birthdays in it so I can keep up with that).

I have a calendar (so I can at least know what day it is).

I am looking forward to a lot.

Here is what the baby is doing this week! "Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)" (Source.)

Aw, her eyesight will be worse than mine!  That's endearing somehow.  
I love that she's nearly 16" long.  That's huge!  That also explains this whole moving thing.  Her movements are getting stronger every day, and really feels like there's a little person in there doing her own thing.  Her movements are also getting higher up and my ribs are starting to feel the push.  She's really branching out!  And it shows.

My belly is pretty big, which is either glorious or slightly disgusting.  It depends on who you ask.  I'm always somewhat surprised when I see myself, but mostly happy to have the proof of a big healthy girl.  Plus, Cody thinks I look amazing, so whatever.  

When I'm not having drastic mood swings, I'm usually pretty underwhelmed by things.  I realized yesterday that this is the year we'll have a baby.  I waited to feel freaked out, but nothing happened so I dusted the blinds in the living room instead.  I'm having two baby showers this month, so we'll really begin building up our supply of baby stuff.  I need to work out because my legs are ridiculous and I have quite a bit of time to keep carrying all this around.  I'm not sleeping worth a flip, but I like to think it counts as training for our new life--it's got to count for something!  I have aches and pains, and I hate being this clumsy, but Cody's been taking over more and more of the house stuff and I've been taking more and more breaks from any activity so that I can just sit and catch my breath. 

I rest.  I make plans.  I talk to the baby when she moves and I call her names.  I move slowly and dress comfortably.  I ask for help.  I'm feeling pretty good.  My hair is fabulously thick (for me).

2 more months.

3 comments:

Laine said...

1. I like this picture of you! You look very happy (almost amused) in it. Very good.
2. I cannot WAIT for showers!

Amber said...

Here is the really bad news, Jen. From what I can tell, the brain is gone permanently. I've been told that it never comes back. It's been five years. I'm inclined to believe the numerous mothers and personal observations that I've made.

Mom2Four said...

You and your tummy look so cute in that shirt, Honey. Enjoy your thick hair because I found that it will thin out after the baby comes, but your brain will come back.

You will feel like your old self again after you have a few FULL nights of sleep. Of course, that may be a while! Why do you think you spent the night with Mamaw when you were so young!!! Love you.