Monday, December 27, 2010

Update: 29 weeks

It's 29 weeks time!
Picture courtesy of Laine's phone.

Oh yeah, Christmas also happened.  That means my belly and I were seen by all of Cody's family, my family, and a good portion of my old church this past weekend.  Lucky them.

I also had my 28 week check-up last week and discovered that I've gained 15 pounds overall, and that I'll start going to my doctor's office every 2 weeks now.  I'm super pumped about trying to get out of work every 2 weeks so that I can wait over an hour to be seen by a nurse practitioner instead of every 4 weeks.

In other news, I got my Rhogam shot because my blood type is negative and there's the chance that it will mix with the baby's and blah blah blah, something about negative blood types.

It seems like there's some metaphor about the benefits of being positive that I should be talking about here, but I'm clearly too cranky to catch on to it.

Ha.  Get it?

I'm a little tired.  We partied for about 3 days straight and now I'm full of sugar and sodium and tired from staying up late.  I should never stay up late.  Schedules and the baby won't let me sleep late to recover.  Sometimes I'll wake up for my bi-nightly bathroom trip, which is quite the longstanding tradition now, and when I try to go back to sleep someone keeps having her very own dance party all over my belly.  In my belly.  Something about my belly.  Or maybe my torso.  She's all over the place!

I hate to complain about a healthy, active baby.  Especially since I keep thinking that all this movement probably means she's alert and being alert is like being smart on top of being big and strong.  So every time my belly jumps or gets a freakishly placed lump because she seems to be learning how to crawl, I just have to exclaim "Look at you!  Yes, we see you." and if Cody's there he'll put his hand over the area of activity.  She's quite impressive.

I should have laid on my side during Christmas so my relatives could have felt her move--or seen her.  I'm sure they're sad at how much they missed out.

Lots of people are excited about the baby, and they ask if I'm feeling good and I say I'm feeling good and then I loathe them and me after I say.  I feel fine if I don't think about how pregnant I am.  Or if people don't say how big I am.  Or how small I am.  

I'm the biggest I've ever been.  

I'm still kind of small for a pregnant woman (apparently), but I'm a small girl and this is my first baby.

Whatever.  We're both healthy and I'm sure we're both lovely sizes.  

Especially her.

I especially think that after reading this: "Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. His muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and his head is growing bigger to make room for his developing brain. To meet his increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because his bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day." (Source.)

I'm so ahead of you, Baby Center.  I am a yogurt and cereal-with-milk champion, and have been since the beginning of the second trimester.  I love yogurt and cereal with milk.  Incidentally, Cody and I also love butternut squash.  As for all those other things, I'm not surprised.  I'm sure her brains and lungs and bones are just fabulous.  She can't help but be that way.  She's rolling around and pushing and punching even as I type this.  It can be a little uncomfortable at times and it's incredibly distracting, but it's great.  I love these nice reminders of how strong and healthy she is.

Other baby news:
  • We bought the baby her first comic-themed onesie last week.  Naturally, it's a Batman one.  Throw her in some gray pants and a yellow bow, and she's going to be so adorable and nerdy.
  • Laine gave Cody a book entitled My Dad Loves Me, and it features cute paintings of daddy animals and baby animals being cute and doing cool things together.
  • Mom gave the baby her first baby doll for Christmas.  Yes, the baby is not here yet.  We're all aware of that.  But Mom wanted to be the first person to buy the first baby doll.  So apparently half the family piled into a toy store in Memphis a few weekends ago and picked out a nice little girl for the baby.  I got to open the present for her on Christmas Day, and it will be ready for her when she gets here.  She also included some great little mementos from when I was little.  I'm totally using that great yellow pacifier clip that I think belonged to Sara.
  • Mamaw also sent the baby a Christmas present!  There was a beautiful afghan and two pairs of little baby booties.  
  • I set up all of those lovely gifts in a chair last night....and then didn't photograph them.  Just trust me, it's all very lovely.
Can I talk about me again for a minute?  Because I want to tell you that Cody got me some bigger clothes, To the Lighthouse (with a forward from Eudora Welty!), and a gift certificate for my very own one-hour prenatal massage at a real massage place for Christmas because he's a very, very, very good husband.  I love this man.
I had a very lovely pregnant Christmas.  Here are some pictures:

The baby's onesie and the stocking I made for her.

The four of us reenacting our standard Christmas picture.  We decided to re-do one that we did 5 years ago since it's our last year to celebrate when none of us are parents.  One of these bellies is not like the other....
Laine finally freed the baby from the box (after we borrowed Levi's pocket knife 3 separate times), so I played with her and took off all her clothes because that's just what you do when you play dolls.  It's the rules.  I put the smaller pair of Mamaw booties on her.

Then I had to share with Laine.

No comments: