Monday, December 20, 2010

Update: 28 weeks

It's third trimester time, y'all!

Awesome.

A few things about that:


Stretch marks?  Is that TMI?  I'm just keeping you informed--it's not like I'd ever show you.  I'm just letting you know they're starting to show up.  I figured they would at some point.  I didn't figure they'd be on the upper part of my belly, but I guess that area's not used to much growth.

The baby's movements can be a little more...aggressive sometimes.  I told Mamaw last week that I'm taken aback by the fact that she won't be able to roll over or crawl when she's born.  She seems so good at moving around right now!  But I don't want to have to chase her just yet, so that will be fine.

Mom was laughing about something I'd written in an earlier post where I'd mentioned that I thought the baby was wanting more room, because she should have plenty of space right now.  But when I made her feel the baby move this weekend, she had to admit that it feels like she's pushing me. 

I waddle.  It's probably been happening for a few weeks now, but I've finally admitted it.

Cody and I have been experiencing a lot of role reversals since we found out I was pregnant, but things have gotten really different these past few weeks.  He cleans more and I'm more likely to decided what we'll eat.  He loses weight and I find it.  He has vivid and crazy dreams and I .... don't. 

For a while, I was noticing that I was having weird (yet standard for a) pregnant woman dreams.  You know, weirder than normal dreams.  They seemed pretty real and very clear.  But that hasn't really happened in about a month.  I know I'm dreaming, but nothing really sticks with me when I wake up and I certainly haven't been waking up from dreams (yay!).  No nightmares, no weirdness.  Cody, on the other hand, has very bizarre and very detailed dreams that are typically stressful (in one, he had to teach a classroom of kids to write the letter Q in cursive.  They complained and asked why they needed to know this, and he didn't have an answer for them, and he's bad at writing the letter Q in cursive.  I had a full body shudder when he told me about it) and he actually remembers them when he wakes up.  This is rare for him.  We're not big believers in sympathy symptoms, but he's apparently been giving me a nice break.  Awesome!

So Cody's dreaming and I'm growing and the baby is also growing: "By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world." (Source.)

Fatness and eye-blinking?!  That is so adorable!  Tiny baby eyelashes and neurons.  I really can't think of anything better.

I also had a birthday this past week and turned 28.  Yes, I timed this so that I could be 27 years old at 27 weeks and then 28 at 28 weeks.  I'm just that good.  I have more maternity clothes, which is great because I'm losing creativity when it comes to working with what I've got and a lot of the time.....well, what I've got is just getting far, far too small.

I have been lucky, though.  Laine went through quite a jumper phase and I've been wearing a lot of those.  Mom also gave me some of her clothes that I wear to work, and a few weeks ago I really lucked out when she found this great old jumper of hers that she wore when she was pregnant with me (and Laine and Sara and Levi) that really isn't even a maternity dress.

I love wearing Mom's clothes.  We especially liked 'borrowing' t-shirts and jackets and wearing them back to college.  It's like something protective.  It always makes me feel special and watched over.  Plus, I'd seen pictures of that jumper--she wore it to my baby shower our church threw for us a few weeks before I was born--and it's really cute.  So when she dug it out and gave it to me on her birthday, I immediately threw it on over my clothes.

Then Sara and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to convince her that unpregnant Jen is, and always has been, bigger than unpregnant, 1980s Mom (who was way more of a bean pole than I have ever been).  Unlike Mom, I don't think I'll be able to wear this jumper until the very last minute.  But I'm going to wear it as much as I can, and I definitely wore it to my birthday celebration at my parents' house yesterday.

And that's how we got this picture:
Photo by Dad.

Just Mom and me and our jumper and our baby.  

I've noticed both my mom and Cody's mom say "our little girl" when they talk about my baby.  I like that.  I love and appreciate how much people love this little girl, and how hard people have worked to make me happy and to feel like I've got the most important girl in the world (because she is).


We're so glad you do.


Thanks.

1 comment:

Laine said...

I like the picture of you and Mom together. You both look like you're glowing with Christmas cheer!