Monday, December 6, 2010

Update: 26 weeks

I have been pregnant for 26 weeks!

I feel crappy and the baby obviously does not care.

I think that's either one of my favorite things about pregnancy, or one of my favorite things about this baby*: nothing seems to faze her.

Jen has problems with sinuses or a cold, complete with a cough/congestion/sore throat/whole head hurting/utter misery?  As long as the oxygen levels are good (and they were), the baby kicks and punches and rolls over.

Jen gets stressed?  The baby kicks and punches and rolls over.

Jen has car problems?  The baby kicks and punches and rolls over.

Jen hates her appearance and makes stupid impulse buys to feel better about herself?  The baby takes a nap or grows or does something equally worthwhile and awesome.

Guess what else the baby is doing? "The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air. And he's continuing to put on baby fat. He now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel." (Source.)

This girl is not slowed down by my drama!  She has impressive developmental milestones to reach!

I'm proud of my body's ability to keep her safe and healthy and happy, and proud of her for just rocking at gestation.  I know both of us are merely doing our biological jobs, but I'm still glad it's going well and sometimes I get a ridiculous amount of satisfaction from the fact.

The baby's movements go for longer periods of time now, and they're starting to get almost-uncomfortable at times.  As big as she's getting (14 inches?!?!?!?), I'm not surprised.  We had a little party at Laine's house this weekend, which meant everyone in my family but Sara and Chad saw my bare belly (I know they're sad about that) and that Laine finally felt the baby move.  I'm sure it was a dream come true for her.  People are very excited about this little girl, and that makes me happy.

And how am I? 

I'm happy that people love us so much, I'm getting over a cold, and I miss my brain.  The baby has eaten my memory and I desperately hope it comes back to me some day.  I'm constantly confused, and Cody lives in fear because now neither one of us knows what we're supposed to be doing at any given time.  Also, my overdue fines at libraries are getting embarrassing.  And I went to my allergy appointment in the wrong town last week.  Luckily, they rescheduled me for that afternoon and I ate catfish for a long lunch (after, you know, crying in my car like a champion). 

But I eventually saw my allergist and she congratulated me and said I was fine and we talked about asthma medicines I can take and she said the baby is not taking too much of a toll on my allergies or my asthma.  Thank goodness, because some women really have problems.  I'm also thankful that she sits so low because she's being kept as far away from my lungs for as long as possible.  Way to go, sweetheart!

I would almost be okay with the baby wreaking so much havoc on my mind (because she's usually all I think about anyway), except that I have to use my brain for work.  So I've been second-guessing myself a lot lately, and that's not fun.  But the part where I'm growing a baby who works on breathing and hair-growing and probably eavesdropping with her little ear nerves?  Awesome.  I love finding out what she's doing developmentally, because she really sounds like she's pulling off some magical, super hero-level accomplishments.  That part is going just excellently, and I'm very pumped.  She's not too heavy to carry around and even though my center of gravity is....somewhere else (because it is definitely not where it used to be!), I'm only slightly more clumsy than usual.

26 weeks and awesome.
I have my glucose tolerance test this afternoon and then Cody is taking me out for ice cream (ha!).  Then we'll hang stockings or something.  I have one finished up for her, and I actually think it's just a little over 14-16".  

It should be a nice reference point next Christmas.

I can't wait.

*My absolute favorite thing about her is that she is mine allllll miiiiiiine.  Don't tell Cody.

No comments: