Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Melodramatic grammar refresher

I found a grammatical error on the main page for PBS.

I feel bad doing this to the network that gave me Bert and Ernie, Mr. Rogers, and the reassurance that came from watching LeVar Burton give fabulous book reviews and knowing that Geordi wasn't really blind (that really troubled me when I was little, even though I wanted want a visor like his).

But I have to share this atrocity with you.  I just do.

Ugh.



I went ahead and underlined the error in case this shows up kind of small and blurry.

I know I've talked about this before, but it bears repeating:

"Its" shows ownership of  something belonging to "it." 
"It's" is a contraction of "it is."

The rhythms and refrains belong to the town.  What belongs to the town?  Its rhythms and refrains.

I just want to put my head on my desk and take some slow breaths.

And then, you know, cry.

This is the Public Broadcasting Service!  

They provide educational programming for nerds young and old!

They partner with NPR!

They, they!.......

Fine, there's no getting around this.
They make ghastly apostrophe errors in front of the entire Internet.

All heroes must fall.

And my, how far mine have fallen.