Monday, November 29, 2010

Update: 25 weeks

Hello!  I've been pregnant for 25 weeks!

Crazy.

Things are getting pretty real over here--I actually had to break down and get Cody to hang Christmas garland this weekend.  Neither of us were happy about it, but straddling the arms of a rocking recliner for Christmas decorations just didn't seem worth it.

Other things that happened this week:
  • Last Monday afternoon, I had my 24 week check-up and discovered that I was also supposed to be doing my glucose screening test that day.  I distinctly remember the doctor saying we would do that at 28 weeks, but I've been pretty certain and pretty wrong about a lot of things lately.  Score one for that stupid cliche, pregnancy brain.  Fine, I'm distracted right now.  Growing a baby and working and making holiday plans keeps me a little busy.  
  • BUT!  Score another one for the nurse who noticed my absolutely panic-stricken face, and said I could reschedule.  So: I will do the stupid blood sugar test thingy next Monday, after a day or so of little or no sugar.  Then they will draw blood.  Then I will ask Cody to make me cookies so I feel better.
  • Shush.
  • Other than my little freakout and a decade-long wait, the check-up was fine.  I'm still gaining a pound a week on average, my blood pressure is "good" (it's like the nurses think I don't know numbers), and the baby's heartbeat is "somewhere in the 130s."  The nurse-practitioner had a hard enough time listening to the beats because the baby kept changing positions and the doppler thingy would pick up her movements as big sounds.  Plus, at one point she kicked the doppler wand right off my belly.
  • Upon leaving, I was presented with a gold medal for housing the champion of the Baby Movement Olympics in her age and weight division.  
  • Fine, not really.  But everyone was satisfied with her movements and my size, and so we're both awesome.
  • We saw lots of friends, and nearly all of our family for the holidays and they think we're awesome as well.  Practically every member of my family was compelled to tell me how weird I look, and Laine poked, prodded, pushed, and generally harassed my belly in public on 2 separate days in an effort to get the baby to move so she could feel her.
  • The baby did not move much over the holidays!  She's so sneaky.  Jessi may have felt her squirm a little on Friday, but I think I either didn't leave her enough room to wiggle after everything I ate (Mom's theory), or she was hiding from all of the noise (my theory).  Also, babies don't like Laine.  I'd like to pretend this won't be a problem, but I will be having a daughter soon and she will be a baby.  Plus, Laine wants to hang out with her a lot, and it doesn't help matters that every other person in our family gets along just great with babies.  
  • Plus, Laine and I have been talking about the book Duncan and Dolores a lot lately.  And it's got me thinking.  Click here to have some girl read the book to you.  The message is ..... prophetic?
  • Oh brother.
  • Moving on: "Head to heels, your baby now measures about 13 1/2 inches. Her weight — a pound and a half — isn't much more than an average rutabaga, but she's beginning to exchange her long, lean look for some baby fat. As she does, her wrinkled skin will begin to smooth out and she'll start to look more and more like a newborn. She's also growing more hair — and if you could see it, you'd now be able to discern its color and texture." (Source.)
  • A baby rutabaga of my very own!?!?!  Thrilling.  I can't wait to see what color her hair is.  A pound and a half is huge!  I used a calculator to guess this, but that means that nearly 13% of the weight I've gained is the baby.  Look at her!  Such a big chunk.
  • Sometimes I wake up and the baby moves a lot and it makes it hard to fall back asleep.  Awesome.
  • And sometimes I need help rolling myself off of the couch, or getting off the floor quickly.  Or maybe I'm just tired because I wake up a lot and fall back asleep less, and because I've been getting a lot of exercise this weekend because of Christmas decorating (squatting is hard, y'all).
  • I'm staying active.  Yay?
  • I stub my toes on everything.  My feet have grown, and my center of gravity has changed, and now I ram my feet into everything.  But I haven't fallen yet, so that's nice.
  • The grandparents-to-be are patiently waiting for Christmas, when the baby will definitely be moving enough for people to feel.
  • Laine wants me to come to her house this weekend, in the hopes that it will happen then.
Okay, here are some pictures!

Just a refresher: this is me at 15 weeks.

And this is me last Wednesday, at 24.5 weeks!  I can't imagine what kind of difference another 2 months will make.

This is me on Thanksgiving with Mo, who was moderately impressed.

And this is me at mostly 25 weeks with Laine, who was really impressed! 

Alternate caption:
Laine: Jen?
Jen: Yes?
Laine: YOUR BABY REALLY LIKES ME!
Baby: Oh brother.


This baby has some exciting adventures ahead of her.  

I can't wait.

4 comments:

Laine said...

Exciting indeed!

That last picture makes me laugh, not terribly flattering of either of us, but I like it!

Alana said...

1. I LOVE your houndstooth dress in picture #3. You look too cute!
2. Baby rutabaga. Phenomenal!

Anonymous said...

Bon d'expédition et de ce post m'a beaucoup aidé dans mon assignement collège. Remerciements vous que vos informations.

Anonymous said...

I just added your web page to my favorites. I like reading your posts. Thanks!