Monday, November 22, 2010

Update: 24 weeks

6 months!

Good morning!  I hope you're doing well.

As for me?  Well, I'm about to eat my third breakfast bar of the morning as I sit here in my new maternity pants.

Yes, I finally got some maternity pants for work.  Believe it or not, there are actually times when I don't feel like throwing on a pair of tights and a dress with a waistband just under my chest that will balloon out over my big tummy, as if my clothes must shout to the world, "Y'all look at me because I'm pregnant!"

(But usually that is what I feel like doing.)

Anyway, I have some pants and I bought them last night, which led to an up-close, full mirror experience in which I startled myself a little with my size and wound up taking tons of self-portraits of myself, and even my bare belly (don't worry, you won't see those).  I emerged from the dressing room with my 24 week picture for this post, and a renewed desire to buy a full length mirror.

But we didn't find one.  Some other day, though.

And soon, because I'm getting tired of standing on our bed to check out how an outfit fits.  I could just go ahead and assume most outfits are getting too small, though.  I killed a zipper Friday night!  I was annoyed, but at least it happened at home, and before I went to see friends (and before I ate half of a pizza).  

I am eating a ton.  It's usually pretty balanced, but oh my goodness.  The quantities are impressive.  I am incredibly excited about Thanksgiving this year.  Mom was going to let me skip bringing the fruit salad I usually make for my family because I have to  get to go to two Thanksgivings in one day, but then I decided my life would be incomplete without it.  So now I'm going to eat my fruit requirements for 3 days in one sitting.  On top of breads, meats, and dressing.  And some casseroles.  And desserts.  And I get to do it twice!

I have a check-up this afternoon.  I am really curious about what I weigh.  I don't think I've gained too much weight for this month, but I know I've gained.  I'm not working out as much as I think I should, but I am pretty active most days.  Cody and I walked a lot of places this weekend, which was nice, but this little girl makes me move more slowly these days.  On one hand, the weather was nice and having to walk slower made me take the time to appreciate my surroundings.  On the other hand, I was frequently outpaced by Cody and that's a new and not-awesome feeling.  I actually had to tell him to walk slower (oh the horror) a few times yesterday!

But Cody always does slow down for me, and holds my hands on stairways, and asks if I need help with something.  He also knows to ask if I want him to pick up anything to eat every time he leaves the house.  I love this man.  He makes nice food and always thinks I'm pretty and remains impressed with this adventure, even if he does seem a little confused and asked this weekend, "Were you this big 2 or 3 days ago?" as if becoming noticeably bigger every couple of days would be strange.

Oh, and the answer?  Yes, I am bigger than I was 2 or 3 days ago.  I told him to just assume I'd grown if it looked like I had, and he thought that was cool.

Again: I. love. this. man.

In addition to looking different every few days, other surprises include how stinking much this baby moves and how stinking much I notice her now!  She is a strong girl!  She moves a lot in the mornings, and in the early afternoons, and usually during the night.  Sometimes I'll wake up early, or get up at night, and I'll feel her moving around a little.  It's not quite enough to keep me awake, but I do take notice.  I'm not sure what she's up to, but she seems incredibly energetic about it.

And apparently she's growing quite a lot!: "Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon." (Source.)

Ahhh, lung stuff!  This makes me happy.  And I think being the size of an ear of corn is incredibly seasonally appropriate.  I hope she likes the holidays as much as I do.  I'm already working on a little stocking we can hang this Christmas for her--it's just a little decoration to acknowledge that she's on her way.  I can't wait to sing songs about baby Jesus and teach her about glitter and lights and Santa's elves.  I like to think she can sense my excitement about holidays because she was moving up a storm when I went to Michaels on Saturday to make Christmas plans.  And I felt her move a lot while I checked out the new issue of Martha Stewart Living.  And while I was thinking up birthday presents.  

Maybe she already loves festivities as much as I do!  Or she just likes moving.

I'm thrilled with her either way.

And either way, I still can't wait to introduce her to glitter.

6 comments:

Laine said...

Whoa. You are getting a LOT bigger every week!

I hope she hates glitter...I do.

Jen said...

No hating! We'll have to teach her about intense dislike.

Laine said...

I hope she dislikes gitter so much that she wants to run over it with a big truck!

But, since it's glitter, it'll just stick to the truck's tires, and get everywhere!

I'll have to think of some other dislike-example for her to use...

Erin said...

Know what else 24 weeks means...VIABILITY! Not that we want her born anytime soon, but still its cool to have reached that point! Awesome huh?

Surfactant is cool stuff. I rave about it all the time. Ya know they even make artificial surfactant and give it to preemies via little nebulizer thingies!

Alana said...

I teared up thinking about her little stocking. So sweet!

I have no doubt that this baby will be a Martha Stewart fan.

Lots of pictures need to be taken upon her introduction to glitter. Lots.

Laine said...

Well, after reading Alana's comment, now I'm thinking about how cute she'll be when you show her glitter...so maybe it's okay.

She can just do whatever she wants!