Monday, November 8, 2010

Update: 22 weeks

Is it really 22 weeks? 

It is really 22 weeks.

Wow.

Things are moving right along!

This is what I read about the baby for this week: "At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost 1 pound, your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums. His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. If you could see inside your womb, you'd be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers his body and the deep wrinkles on his skin, which he'll sport until he adds a padding of fat to fill them in. Inside his belly, his pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily." (Source.)

My belly got touched twice this weekend--once by my friend Lynn, and then by Cody's Aunt Becky, so it wasn't weird--and I didn't even consider attempting to wear non-maternity jeans.  That's how moving-right-along this pregnancy is getting.

What was weird was when I saw one of Cody's cousins this weekend and she yelled "Oh my goddddddddd!  You're having a baby!" and I was startled by the loudness and incredibly concerned that no one had told her and she didn't know this important fact until I was sitting in her back yard.  Cody assured me that she did know, but that she was just excited to see my stomach showing.


Speaking of which, this is my stomach showing:

The exciting stomach and me.  Just hanging out in the office after eating lunch.

I had Cody take a picture of me last night, but it was pretty unflattering.  So I took this one and, believe it or not, it's better.  This is one of my favorite dresses to wear with this sweater.  It's all very pregnant-looking.

Or maybe that's just me.

It's funny, but a friend asked this weekend if I liked being pregnant, and I had to say that I do.  On one hand, I feel like I have to say I'm doing great whenever people ask just because....I do.  On the other, I do like that I'm pregnant.  I'm growing our baby and we're healthy and we're going to meet her and our family will have a whole, another person by Cody's birthday.

Insane.

But a happy insane.

I'm excited about making fewer trips to the bathroom at some point in the future.  And I'm really looking forward to actually holding this baby and seeing her face and kissing her little hands and feet.  But I really do like being pregnant.  People smile at me for no reason.  I'm eating everything and it all tastes wonderful.  I'm full of happy hormones.  I just don't always look or sound as happy as I feel because I'm tired.  This growing girl takes it out of me!  So people ask if I'm excited and I can only reply flatly, "Yes, we're very excited." and then my eyes glaze over.

But I am excited and happy.

Even when people keep asking about a name. 

Which, by the way, is a surprise. 

Because we don't know it yet.

No big deal, the little girl is far less bothered by this fact than you are.  She moves and (maybe?) kicks and I can feel her squirming around or pushing against me these days.  It feels weird and usually makes me laugh.  Cody can't feel her moving when I place his hand on where she is, but he can tell she's there.

I'm not sure if she can hear him, but I go ahead and talk to her a lot.  I have to wonder if she's paying attention, though, because she's so busy moving and growing and being the size of a spaghetti squash and working on growing her cute little pancreas and being hairy.  I understand.  She seems to have a lot going on.  It's big work to be so impressive.

Weighing a pound.
Being 11" long.
Growing hair.
Making a pancreas.
Getting her face all cute and featured.
Growing eyes and teeth.
Squirming around.
Making me eat a lot.

She's very impressive.

We're very impressed.

I'm sure you are, too.

3 comments:

Laine said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You are HUGE! That's a really good picture, and I like your outfit, and I like your big belly!

This picture was very exciting to me...

arkansaseden said...

You are the cutest pregnant girl EVER.

Amber said...

Definitely the cutest pregnant girl ever. I bet you were a pretty cute pregnant girl, too, Eden. I loved being pregnant. It is uncomfortable at times, but it's wonderful all at the same time. I'm glad that you are sharing all this. It's fun to see you love this baby.