Monday, November 1, 2010

Update: 21 weeks

21 weeks!  I am officially past halfway through this pregnancy.  I'm in no real hurry, but it is nice to think about how much closer we are to meeting this little girl.

Here's what the past week has been like:
  • I bought my first pair of maternity jeans on Friday!  They're actually a little too big, but it was time to get some after I nearly injured myself in a pair of regular jeans.  They're like wearing sweat pants!  But slightly less baggy and un-cute!  I like them.
  • I don't like paying full price for maternity clothes (or any clothes).  But the only time I see maternity clothes on sale is when it's on something like slinky dresses I'd never wear anyway.  And the idea of buying maternity clothes in consignment shops creeps me out in ways I don't understand.  So for now I'm still wearing dresses and medium-sized t-shirts with big pants.  It works.
  • People keep staring at my stomach.  I guess we're to that stage of things.  Some times it's annoying, but it feels nice and friendly at other times.  Some co-workers smile every time they see me solely because I'm pregnant.  And our friends and families like to see me growing, and it's nice that they share in the excitement of my bigness. 
  • Cody also likes to see me growing and is continuing his never-ending quest to prepare vegetables and various nutritious snacks.
  • I eat like a champ.  Fruits, vegetables, meat, cereal, yogurt, Halloween candy, breads--you name it, I'm eating it.  
  • I weighed myself at my parents' house yesterday and discovered I'd gained 2 more pounds.  But I'm not sure how accurate the scale is--it's at least 30 years old and when Levi was little he'd fiddle with it to make his weight seem higher than it was (it was a big relief for the weight watchers in the house when Mom saw him messing with it).  For all I know he still does.  But I'm pretty sure that Levi, the baby, and I are all at healthy weights.
  • This is what I read about the baby: "Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like she's practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now." (Source.)
  • 3/4ths of a pound!  10 1/2 inches!  I love carrots!  And eyebrows!  I kind of hope she has Cody's eyebrows--they're really well-shaped.
  • I think (or hope) I'm getting better at feeling her move around.  I feel big movements and on Saturday morning, she did this little thing where I felt 3 or 4 little jabs near my belly button.  It was the best part of my day, and this was the morning I got a massage.  She made me laugh.
  • Both my mother and my mother-in-law laughed at me when I said my belly was big.  Even if this is the biggest it's ever been, it apparently doesn't compete with being 9 months along.  Or 9 months along with twins.  Oh well.  I'm sure we're a lovely size to be almost 5 months along.
  • We're nearly 5 months along!
The 21 week old baby and me on Halloween. 

I didn't do any kind of pregnancy-themed costume (I don't get those).  You could tell I was pregnant, but I just went as a redneck because it's easy and comfortable and the baby was a little fetus girl like she always is.  She's really good at that!  But next year, I hope she's a polar bear because that's Cody's favorite animal.  And then the year after that, I hope she's a chicken because that's my favorite animal and she'll be walking and we can do those little feet-cover things!

And then the year after that, she'll be three and a half (no!  That's too big!) and it will be the futuristic year of 2014 and then maybe she can pick out her own costume.

But right now is fine, too. 

She'll just be little.

I'll just be big.

I'll just carry her around for now.

She always has to stay with me.

I think we're good at that.

5 comments:

Mom2Four said...

I am sure that she is prettier every day! I love watching your tummy grow because it is so cute. Hope you are enjoying the lamb chops.

Alana said...

Polar bear!!! I can't wait!

Alana said...

Polar bear!!! I can't wait!

Ben's mommy said...

I loved this!!!

Laine said...

I hate to point out your flawed math...but, the year after the chicken, she'll be 2 1/2. And that's still too little to pick out her own costume, so I'll do it for her. I don't mind waiting my turn, I'll send you something very cute when the time comes.