Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mishmash

Cody was actually not that despondent this Halloween.

 *

It's soup and chili weather.  Cody made soup on Monday--vegetable!  Then I balked because it had no meat, so he threw in some lamb.  It's delicious.

*

We went to see my parents this weekend.  It's always fun to see the family, and we think Mo knows something's up with me.  Mom had to wash my shirt after I spilled chili on myself.  Then she and Dad sent us home with a pot of planted lettuce seeds, and some basil.  And 65 pounds of lamb.  I was thrilled.  I love my parents.  I love lamb.  I also saw Sara and Levi and Chad, but they didn't give me anything.  It was still a nice day.  Then we ate.  I love eating.

*

We also saw Cody's mom on Saturday (he sees her most days.  I don't, though) because we were going to borrow an ax so Cody could be a lumberjack for Halloween.  She didn't have an ax, but he was a lumberjack anyway.  He looked strapping.  We also watched Spencer and Regan try to make a cake.  Okay, Dicy and Cody weighed in on the cake making.  I just ate cheese dip and watched.  I love eating.

*

I ate breakfast foods with Brook and Brad and watched that zombie show in AMC Sunday.  I closed my eyes, shouted, and nearly cried through a lot of it.  (When I wasn't eating.)  That's usually what I do during any scary movie, though. But I'm glad there were pancakes.  I love eating pancakes.

*

I couldn't think of anything to say yesterday, so I wrote an 'about me' section and a 'my family' section in case someone stumbles on to this and gets confused by all the names.  I considered doing one for friends, but the family one was long enough to convince me that I need to put that off for a while.  It's a nice problem to have.

*

I've been a little scattered for the past few days.  I'm generally tired, or hungry, and the cold weather usually puts me in a bit of funk.  Not really a funk, but I guess I want to hibernate.  Instead of hibernating, I've been busy. 

*

I found out late last week that a guy I knew in college died in a car accident.  I admired Dan Benton's studiousness, and mocked him for his relentless cheerfulness.  I liked the cheerfulness, though.  Everyone did.  He was an excellent student and a nice guy.  Knowing him was like knowing someone from church, you know how that feels?  It was like that. We didn't keep in touch after graduation, but I always assumed he'd go on to be a great teacher and read a million history books or so.  It makes me sad to know that he won't be doing that anymore.  I can't offer a great way to memorialize him, but I did want to say something about it here.  There was a lot about college that was completely awful or stressful for me, and there were a lot of times that he made the experience so much better just by being himself.  I'm grateful to have known him.  So I've been thinking about him a lot these past few days, and grieving for his family, and enjoying all of the happy memories I have of him.

*

My absolute favorite memory of Dan was when he moved himself to tears by singing the lyrics to "What the World Needs Now" before a history class one morning.  He mentioned loving that song and wondered if it made anyone else want to cry because he thought it was so sweet.  Of course it didn't, but he felt compelled to start singing it, I guess in case we didn't know the greatness we were missing.

He made it 2 lines in before he had to stop himself, wipe his eyes, and try to pull himself together.  It made my day.

*

I'm a very mean person.  I know.  Dan knew it, too.  He met my mom when we were seniors and immediately said with a sense of urgency and revelation, "Do you know how mean your daughter is?!  She's really mean!  You should make her be nice to people!" 

Mom laughed at him.  She laughed a lot.

This story doesn't really have a point, but it's another favorite memory in the college, Mom, and Dan categories.

*

Just in case you needed to be reminded, this really is a good song.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I hadn't seen or talked to Dan in years, but I miss him. Actually didn't even see much of him my last few years of college, but extremely sad knowing he's gone. Was talking to my boss about him, all I knew how to describe him is that he was a guy you just liked knowing. Made you happy to be around. I remember in Religion class where we had a debate, he wrote one side, I the other. We used mine. After class he told Dr. Daily that his was much better...I was furious...but...still couldn't help but love him.

Amber said...

I don't know why I feel compelled to say this. Maybe it illustrates my lack of sarcasm in this comment. So here it goes: Your college friend reminded me of mine. She was in a few of my classes. We became friends when we realized that our mothers knew each other. My sadness at her death is more that I didn't get to know her as well as I would have liked to. We probably both thought that we would have kept on being 'Decoration Friends' forever. When we were living in Stuttgart I happened to see her obituary sitting on my parent's bar when we were home for a visit. She had been killed in a car accident. I'm still sad even though Shelly died almost 10 years ago. So I really am sincere when I say that I'm sorry that you lost a friend.