Monday, October 25, 2010

Update: 20 weeks

I'm 20 weeks along!  We're halfway there!  

I officially look and feel pregnant.  I think I did before this week, but there's no confusion about it now--not even when I'm wearing a jacket.  This tummy is out and proud.

I went for my monthly checkup this morning and the baby's heartbeat was good and strong.  The doctor said it was somewhere around 140 beats per minute.  She also measured how high up my baby belly was getting, and mentioned that the length usually corresponds to the number of weeks you're at.  Sure enough, my belly is at 20 and 1/2 centimeters, which is just past the belly button.  She said my ultrasound looked good, but that the ultrasound technician forgot to measure some fluid levels.  So I had to go back for another (free) brief ultrasound.  

I figured while we were already looking around, I could ask the technician to check out the baby again.  

Good news: she's still a girl!

And everything looks good.

(I flipped through my file while I was waiting at the desk and read all of my ultrasound results.  Everything is within normal range or is marked as 'No' for any signs of problems or defects.)

And I got a flu shot!  Yes, yes you can get a flu shot at the OB/GYN's office!  Apparently my doctor is a big stickler on flu shots, and since my work wouldn't be offering them until the middle of November, I thought it would be really fun to immunize my pregnant and asthmatic self now.

I feel better already!

And: I gained 5 pounds.  

Not overall.

I gained 5 pounds in the past month

If you're keeping up with this sort of thing, that means I've gained 8 pounds total.  It's normal to gain 3-4 pounds a month in the second trimester, but I'm a go-getter.  Or something.  

At least Cody's happy now.  Even though my doctor and nurses were happy with last month's weight gain, he felt like my weight was just too low.  Too low for what, I'm not sure, but he gets really happy about weight gain and outgrowing clothes.

This what I read about the baby's growth this week: "Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He's also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby's legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the "crown to rump" measurement. After 20 weeks, he's measured from head to toe.)"  (Source.)

I love bananas.  And my big ol' girl. 

That's really about it.  I feel good, and I feel like I look good.  I'm healthy, and the baby's growing right along.  Cody and I like to make plans and think about names and I'm trying to figure out if I am crafty enough to make some quilted baby booties (I'm probably not, but I think I'll go for it anyway!).  So I thought I'd show you some pictures of baby things that you haven't seen yet.


The Liberty of London quilt!  The back is yellow!


A baby rattle from Laine.  She bought it at Red Velvet Art this spring.

Cody and one of their old sweat shirts!

Once upon a time, Cody and Casey were very little people.  The baby is currently not even the length of that sweat shirt.

One of Cody's old afghans from his mom.

And I really love this one.  Nice and neutral.  Did you know that they thought one of the twins might be a girl?  They both turned out to be boys, but I like that I can use Cody's blankets for our little girl.

Mrs. Dicy's sisters made this for her.  Aww!

And we love bears!  I love how nearly all 1980s children's stuff seems to have balloons.  So cheerful.

Oh, and here's the baby!  Sorry about the blurriness.  It looked better in the camera.

Baby's first tornado sirens!  They were going off the entire time during our little photo shoot.  These are precious Arkansas memories we're capturing.


Not pictured: a onesie from our friends that I've never photographed and I don't know why, a mix CD of songs about or for babies from Jessi that she gave us this weekend (aw!), and two burp cloths from Cody's mom with cross stitched messages on them and they just make me really confused because I'm not used to burp cloths looking like that.  Cody thought we would actually use them and then I had to have a serious talk about how when someone takes the trouble to give you burp cloths with cute rainbows cross stitched onto them with that special cross stitching fabric, you are not supposed to actually throw them over your shoulder in the expectation that a baby may spit up on them.  

I don't really know what you do with them (but apparently you do save them for your grandbabies!), but I may frame the brown gingham one that has a rainbow and the phrase "Blue skies and rainbows" embroidered on there because that's one of my favorite songs and that would be really, really cute.

That's about it!  Although that seems like enough.  Thanks for reading and being excited about the baby.

And if you've learned nothing else from this post, you at least know that we cannot be trusted with anything monogrammed.

1 comment:

Alana said...

The LOL quilt is sooo pretty. I am glad you made that purchase!