Monday, October 18, 2010

Update: 19 weeks

19 weeks!
 I am 19 weeks along!  

  • It's been a big week!  I had an ultrasound last Monday and we found we were getting a daughter!  We saw other things on the ultrasound, too--little bones and organs and her little face.  And movement.  Lots and lots of movement.  
  • From what I can tell, this girl just grows and stays active and thinks deep thoughts with her nice little brain.  She is not wasting time.
  • I still can't really feel her moving that often.  I can tell something's up when she does a big roll-over (or something).  It feels like she's trying to push her way out of my side.  Either I'm a terribly negligent mother because I only feel her when it's a big deal, or she's super stealthy because I only feel her when she's making some kind of big movement.
  • Believe it or not, I've only watched her ultrasound movie 3 times.  Twice when I was at Laine's this weekend (Leah or Robert missed the first half of it, so we started all over again) and once at my parents'.  It's pretty fascinating stuff, and I'm not the only person who thinks so.  Everyone thinks she's pretty riveting.
  • I made some copies of one of her ultrasound pictures so our families could have a 4" x 6" picture for the fridge, and some wallet-sized ones for them to carry around.  I didn't have much to do with it, but it's still a point of personal pride for me when people exclaim "This really looks like a picture of a baby!"  That's my girl!  Always looking human.  And some people even thought she looked chubby--I'll go ahead and take credit for that.
  • I still love apples and cereal.  But vegetables are nice, and we even bought some pears last night.  And Cody may be eating as much yogurt as I am right now.  I guess he needs calcium, too.
  • Cody's quite the champion dad-to-be.  He's feeding me well and keeping busy with looking up the most healthful recipes possible, lifting things for me, and doing all things pertaining to high shelves.  We rearranged our closet and switched out our seasonal clothes yesterday (finally!).
  • He's a little concerned about all this pink business.  Laine bought another baking-theme onesie once she found out we're having a girl and Sara bought me these lovely little shoe-socks.
The shirt says "Fresh from the oven"!

They're socks!  But they look like socks and shoes!  Awwww!
 When I showed them to Cody, he sighed a little.  "They're so pink."  I reminded him that some people like to dress baby girls in pink....and that Sara really likes pink.  He sighed again.  
  • I'm really glad I didn't take a picture of the play kitchen we saw in a Pottery Barn outlet.  Lots of pastel pink on the kitchen.  We're both worried about the restrictions of gender expectations, but who isn't?  I think Cody's mostly horrified at the prospect of more glitter being in his life (we walked by a clothing store for little girls last night and he was alarmed by the bright pinks and animal prints and glitter).  He really doesn't like strictly enforced gender stereotypes or glitter.  He fights both of these evils on a daily basis (but only wins on one front).  That's my guy!
  • I'm big.  Or at least I feel big.  I feel great, but I want to move more slowly than I'm used to.  But I sleep like a rock and wear lots of dresses and I feel healthy and pretty (most of the time--my face...yikes) and expectant. The baby and I are both growing girls, and we're growing quickly.
  • Speaking of which, this is what I read about the baby this week: "Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Her brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that she may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to her, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

    Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Her arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of her body now. Her kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on her scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid." (Source.)
  • Primary reaction: I have to watch my mouth.  I've been talking to her every now and then, and I sing a lot anyway, but if she's really paying attention....well, then, I need to watch my content and tone.  Is sarcasm okay?  Probably not?  Oh dear.
  • Secondary reactions: Cody loves heirloom tomatoes! Yay sensory developments!  Yay arms and legs! Hair!  Did I mention that the four of us and the three boys in Cody's family all had plenty of hair as babies?  She'll probably have black hair and it will turn blondish!  Precious.  I'm looking forward to meeting this well-proportioned, unpickled baby with her little head of hair.
  • Based on the texts and comments and phone calls and conversations and reactions to pictures, I'm not the only one.  Thanks for being so excited and sweet.  I'm excited for this baby to find out how lucky we are to know you.

1 comment:

Amber said...

L came out appreciating sarcasm. Go figure.