Monday, October 11, 2010

Update: 18 weeks

Hey there!  I'm 18 weeks pregnant!  I'm practically to 20 weeks, which means I'm practically halfway done!

I may be just a little impatient. 

Cody and I keep seeing adorable babies everywhere we look!  We started to really notice cute babies and little kids back when we were talking about adding to our family.  Now that I'm carrying around a little unfinished person we can't meet for another million years....oh man.  We can't go anywhere without seeing some little chubby face in a stroller doing or saying something unbearably cute.  

It's awful.

But we do spend a lot of time enjoying just-the-two-of-us things--listening to music we can't listen to around a baby, watching action movies with explosions and language, sleeping for extended periods of time.  You know.  We're trying to enjoy every step of the way, but some of those babies are awfully cute and I don't have one to hang out with yet..... 

Yes, I'm already whiny!  I get tired, okay? My hips carry around a baby (albeit a really little one) all the time!  I know I've got a long ways to go, but I am not used to this and the baby likes to make itself known.  Speaking of which:
  • I'm pretty sure I felt the baby move a couple more times!  Maybe.  I really hope that's the baby.  Otherwise....[obligatory reference to the movie Alien even though I've never seen it]
  • I'm pretty paranoid.  I won't step on anything higher than the step stool I keep around so I can live like a normal person would.  If I have a bad dream about something being wrong with the baby, I brood.  If I feel the baby (or something else) move, I immediately think my stomach will break.
  • In case you wondered (because I'm pretty sure your mind automatically went here after you read that last bullet point), Cody is fine.  Sometimes exasperated, but mostly fine.  I'm really only a little more irrational than I usually am.
  • Besides, I've been pumping Cody up every now and then by randomly turning to him and yelling "ARE YOU SO EXCITED?!" for the past week or so, and that keeps him on his toes.  This is in reference to this afternoon's ultrasound and yes, he always is.
  • Oh, did I mention I'm having an ultrasound today.  I'M HAVING AN ULTRASOUND TODAY!  We are so excited to see our baby!
  • This is what I read about the baby this week: "Head to rump, your baby is about 5 1/2 inches long (about the length of a bell pepper) and he weighs almost 7 ounces. He's busy flexing his arms and legs — movements that you'll start noticing more and more in the weeks ahead. His blood vessels are visible through his thin skin, and his ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from his head a bit. A protective covering of myelin is beginning to form around his nerves, a process that will continue for a year after he's born. If you're having a girl, her uterus and fallopian tubes are formed and in place. If you're having a boy, his genitals are noticeable now, but he may hide them from you during an ultrasound."  (Source.)
  • I really hope this baby doesn't hide from us!  We want to know what it is!  I am unbelievably ready to retire the word "it."  Yes, I know some people used to be surprised (like my parents).  Yes, I know some people still like to be surprised.  But if I'm going to look at something so personal as the baby's spine, then knowing if it's a boy or a girl seems pretty negligible by comparison.
  • Except it isn't negligible.  I really want to know.
  • I also can't believe it's so big.  Well, yes I can.  I am big.  So I can believe it.  But I do have a hard time believing its ears will get very flat against its head, though.  I don't know if you've noticed my family, but our ears are, um, distinctive?  Trust me, it will look really cute when the baby is 4 or 5.
  • I just realized that 7 ounces is nearly half a pound!  (Yes, I like to round up.)  That's amazing!  What a chunk.
  • Speaking of chunks, I'm sorry I don't have a picture of myself for you.  But I look bigger. I'll have Cody take a picture tonight and I'll post it tomorrow when I (really hope I can) tell you if we're having a boy or a girl.
  • My belly button hurts.  What?!  Already?  This pregnancy is progressing too quickly.  I change my mind.
  • We're having a baby, you guys.  A very real and probably very beautiful baby.

No comments: