Monday, October 4, 2010

Update: 17 weeks

17 weeks!

  • Fun fact: this picture is not an adequate representation of how big I feel.  I have looked bigger and rounder after finishing a half-rack of ribs.  Just trust me, in real life (in pajamas or a dress) you can really tell that I'm growing every week.  But still, this is bigger than I used to be.
  • Just a few hours before this picture was taken, I glanced down and shouted "What is this?!" while wearing pajamas.  I was easily bigger than I was a few days before.
  • Cody's response?  "Beautiful."
  • Cody is getting a trophy or a steak dinner or something when this is all over.  Or, you know, a baby.  Awesome prize for an awesome guy.  He's so nice.
  • I don't like trying to get dressed.  It's a constant guessing game.
  • I bought my first maternity shirt yesterday, but it was too small (!!!).  I saved the receipt and will exchange it for the next size up.
  • I'm tired.  But the cold weather and our extra quilts (and my exhaustion) ensure that I'm sleeping like a log.  A log that gets up at least twice a night to go to the bathroom, but I'm sleeping better than I have been.  Hooray!
  • My days of sleeping on my stomach are numbered.  I've done this for nearly 30 years, so I don't know what happens next.
  • I am slowly loving more fruit again.  Yay!
  • And I still love cereal.  I am definitely getting enough dairy in my diet.  Yogurt, meals with cheese, and bowls and bowls of cereal are consumed every week.
  • No, I still have not felt the baby moving.  Every now and then I lay still with both hands on my stomach, looking really intense (at least I think I do, based on Cody looking at me worriedly and asking if everything is all right), because I thought I felt something.  But it's usually my own pulse.  Oh well.
  • I'm going to get bigger shoes soon.  Like, this weekend soon.  It's a thing.  Really.
  • I went to a pumpkin farm this weekend with some lovely girlfriends!  They yelled at me for trying to pick up a box of all my pumpkins (but not one girl's twenty-six-pound son) and surprised me with a cute little onesie they found at the farm's store!  I need to take a picture of it tonight.  
  • Then I'm going to take the cute onesie and put it out of sight with the cute baby book because I don't want to torment myself with fun baby stuff I can't play with yet.  Do you know how many more weeks I have until the baby gets here?  A million.  I've got the science to back me up on this.  Babies take forever to grow.  I bet a baby of Cody's could take even longer than forever (you know he's not one to rush).  Goodness.
  • But the baby's doing important work right now, so I'm not going to fuss at it (like I do with Cody).  I just promise it all kinds of fun we'll have and foods we'll try out when it gets bigger whenever I'm talking to it.
  • This is what the baby's working on this week: "Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop."  (Source.)
  • See what I mean about important work?  Growing little bones!  Getting lots of nutrition!  Moving around with functioning joints!  Getting ready to do that thing babies do where they sleep on you and sweat all over you and then they wake up and their hair sticks out everywhere from sweating and you melt because it's so adorable and because sleeping babies are impossibly warm!  I can't wait!  
  • And it's so big!  5 inches and 5 ounces!  My little turnip is such a beast.  I can't believe we're going to see it in a week! 
  • Yes, we want to know what we're having.
  • Yes, we will tell you when we find out.
  • No, we will not tell anyone the name.
  • No, I do not know if we will even be able to settle on a name before the baby gets here.
  • No, I absolutely cannot wait to know more about this baby!  I won't be posting ultrasound pictures on here because that seems like a bit of an invasion of privacy (and because both grandmothers have told me I can't).  Besides, I'm going to take too many pictures and put them online once the baby gets here.  It deserves a break until then. 
  • Aren't you so excited anyway?!  I am.  I bet you're excited, too.  This baby is so exciting.  Thanks for being excited with me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Five inches is huge!!! Growing like a weed. And, sweaty babies are the cutest thing ever. They just are. I can't wait! It'll go by fast though. I can't believe I've known you are pregnant for 7 weeks, it's gone by fast! I bet you'll feel the baby moving soon, now that it can move it's joints!

-Laine

Kelly said...

You look amazing!

I am quilting again. I got it out last night, as I am so very inspired by your knitting that I wanted to respond in kind. I'll post pics soon.

:)