Friday, October 1, 2010

September book list

The list for the books I read in September is pretty short.  I have a few books around that are almost finished.  You know what I like to do when I have just a few chapters left in a book?
Start reading another book.

Ahem.

But to make up for my lackluster list, I went ahead and included unhelpful book reviews.  I stopped doing it because it bored me and I got pretty terse and tired during the secretive part of my first trimester.  But it's back!  For September, anyway.  

So.  Here you go:

McCall, Alexander Smith. The Full Cupboard of Life.  
I love the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series.  I've been trying to read at least one of these books a month since some time this summer.  You should do it, too.  These are sweet and perfect and pleasant and I seriously love reading them before bed.  They're that kind of book.  Not stupid, but not too intense or dramatic enough to factor into your dreams.

Rice, Anne. Taltos: The Lives of the Mayfair Witches.  
Every now and then, I get in an Anne Rice mood.  I don't know why, and it's so embarrassing, and the mood nearly always passes before I finish the book.  I don't want to talk about this anymore other than to say I don't recommend it.
Seals-Alders, Kimberly. The Mocha Manual to a Fabulous Pregnancy.  
I finished my first pregnancy book and this was great.  I've read other books where I just wanted to know about the baby's development, or my nutrition or something and then I'll get annoyed by the departures in tone where the author is all of the sudden talking about maternity shopping and policies at work and blahblahblah.  I'm easily annoyed.  This book was all about being pregnant, and just being pregnant, and I really liked the tone.  I felt a little sad that I wasn't a fabulous black woman, but I think that's something that drew me to it in the first place: I keep reading through these pregnancy books and magazines and thinking "This does not apply to me.  I've never sucked this much." when the author is making these sweeping generalizations and saying, "Ladies, we've all felt this way!" (or worse: "You feel this way.")  But this book's tone was more like "We're fabulous!  You're fabulous!  You've got this."  and even though I'm not a fabulous black woman, I came away feeling like I was plenty okay at being pregnant.  

I want to read the rest of the Mocha Manuals--even the one about being a military spouse now!  I'm completely serious.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I knew we were kindred spirits. Maybe it's something about always wanting what we are not. I always wanted a twin and I always wanted to be dark complected. And tall. I think I'll check out the one about being a military spouse. Thank you for letting me know about it. There are lots of days I need to feel fabulous, dark complected or not.

Jen said...

Ha! I always wanted to tall and brunette. Oh well. I loved reading the Mocha Manual though....and so did Cody.